bekkyboo7

Design feedback and help with wall dimensions pretty please

bekkyboo7
4 years ago

Hi Everyone,

I am after some feedback on my initial design.

Our family live in the Illawarra area in NSW and want a home that brings the indoors out. We currently live with our living area doors open to the yard from the moment we wake up until we go to bed and our two young boys spend all day going in and out. The block we have chosen is nearly flat with a green leafy aspect to the front. It also has a second storey view of the ocean to the east which we would like to take advantage of by the addition of a master suite and study on the second level (I have added stairs to my plan which would continue above the mud/laundry and pantry to meet the second storey but I have not thought about this level yet)

The block is 15.29m at the front, 15.8m at the rear and 46m long with the north aspect to the front. This house is designed to sit at the rear of the block and face to the north. The block is raised approx 1m from street level at the front so we are using that to help add privacy as well as a seperate garage dug in at street front and hedging. I have not added windows to my plan as yet as these will be dependant on $$ as we have a BAL 40 restriction on our East and South facing walls and a BAL 29 rating to the North and West.

I would love some feedback on my plan and was also hoping someone may be willing to help me add wall dimensions to my current plan. I am not sure what walls would add internally and externally which makes it hard to get an overall square metre measurement.

*Just to clarify, the door to the pantry is designed to look like a standard kitchen cabinet so will probably not work like a standard door as I have drawn it. Also, there will be a porch the full length of the house to the front entry and a larger porch to the north of the lounge area I have just not included those.

Thankyou!

Comments (33)

• PRO
    Dr Retro House Calls
    4 years ago

The funny thing about room and wall dimensions on working drawings is that what is drawn never matches what is built!

When a designer puts dimensions on a plan for a timber framed house then it is for the carpenter who is setting out the framing. So in your plan the framing for each bedroom wall is 3.5 metres apart. Once the carpenter has finished the plasterer then lines the internal walls with plaster which usually has a thickness of 12.5mm, so your 3.5 metre wide spacing between the wall framing room has now been reduced by 26mm by the addition of the plasterboard. This means that for internal timber framed walls the thickness should be 90mm+26mm=116mm, although on the working drawings these are dimensioned as 90mm.

For external walls it depends on the construction, whether it has lightweight cladding, brick veneer, full brick, blockwork, sandstone block, straw bale, etc. Brick veneer is commonly used which is 250mm, so for your house you need to allow an extra half a metre for the length and width to accommodate just the thickness of the external walls.

You need to make some decisions about the type of external cladding, the thickness of the external walls, the internal walls and the available space then head back to the drawing board. When working out the floor area of the house it is traditional to include the thickness of the internal and external walls, even though these areas are not usable floor areas.

Best of luck,

Dr Retro

of Dr Retro House Calls

bekkyboo7 thanked Dr Retro House Calls
  • Kate
    4 years ago

Looking great. Maybe square off the bathroom to give more space for tub. The height in your garage will influence its placement and grade of driveway. This will then influence the bottom of windows on north face of living area.
    How will you get from sunken garage into house?

bekkyboo7 thanked Kate
  • Related Discussions

Fridge and pantry placement - help please!

Q

Comments (12)
    Thanks :) All very good points. We thought about having the cabinet doors put in for the fridge but we personally haven't found them to be too practical in the past. Ones we've used haven't seemed to seal so well. We are also planning to upgrade the fridge in the next couple if years. Good thinking about placement of the microwave too. We have a power pack range built into the wall cabinets so unfortunately we can't put the microwave above the cooktop. I like the idea of the appliance cupboard being turned into a corner cupboard, although I'm unsure if that would mean that you then couldn't easily access it from the other side of the bench..? I'm hoping our kids will sit at the breakfast bar and make their own toast etc while keeping out of the kitchen itself.... I also wonder if we should have the wall cabinets all in the same line or if we could drop the usable ones, on either side of the power pack, down further to give us more storage....? And (I promise this is my last dilemma!) does anyone have any ideas on whether to place the 1/4 sink to the left or the right of the main sink? Again it's one of those things that I'm going around in circles about....next to the prep area vs next to the dishwasher.....? ...... Ahhhh decisions, decisions ;-) Thanks again
    ...See More

Curb appeal indecision... advice please!

Q

Comments (91)
    Sorry I am so late coming to your site - you are an inspiration to all, homeowners and advisers alike. For your planting advice, I suggest you call Merrifield Garden Center to see if they will come out your way. They currently have wonderful garden centers in Merrifield and Fairfax (both in Fairfax County) and a new one in Gainesville, but they may come further south to wherever you reside. (www.MerrifieldGardenCenter.com) Even if they don't send designers to your area, they are worth a trip to see their huge selection for a day of pleasure and inspiration, or to pick up some plants. Most of my clients are in the Fairfax and greater Washington area, but I am currently living out west below Front Royal, VA on the Shenandoah mountainside - wonderful views. cascio.offsite@gmail.com
    ...See More

Dining room help please ...

Q

Comments (26)
    Hi Jennifer K, thanks for your comments. The photos you have posted are really lovely but not really suited to our environment and house, which I know is impossible to tell from one photo. We have built a modern farmhouse on 10 acres. That room looks out to beautiful green countryside and the river below. The dining room is a bit of a feature and is completely different to the rest of our relaxed lodgey style house but I don't want it to be too modern, if that makes sense. The photos have given me a few ideas so thank you so much for your help!
    ...See More

Kitchen colour design tips

Q

Comments (4)
    Your layout for you kitchen looks really good and would fit well with the mixture of black and white cabinetry. With the lament bench top, we would suggest melamine (entry level cabinetry) or acrylic bench top, which can come in high gloss feature or matt. The matt surface would go lovely with your choice of bench top, and acrylic is also a affordable cabinetry material. Below are some examples of how Reno4u has incorporated both black and white cabinetry together, without making it to dominantly dark. We feel as if these examples would be perfect for your layout, and depending on if you want more black cabinetry or white you can go either way. This design above is an example with more black than white, can be made matt or gloss with different handles/splash back and wallpaper. With a u shaped kitchen similar to yours, however from the pictures you provided your style may include different design below the island bench. Another kitchen designed by us which shows more white than black, with a bar built in which may suit your design better. We hope this helps you, please feel free to call us on 03 423 9067 and we can provide a free quote for materials and kitchen design, and help you finalise your design further. :)
    ...See More
  • User
    4 years ago

I'd tweak the layout personally .

Basically , on that plan , I'd do a solid wall at the 'rear' of the kitchen , with an opening at the bedroom end ( no door , no step-in ) and have the laundry and back door and rear foyer and a WC ( with a door haha ) in that area -- maybe a wall to hide the laundry from any guests using the WC .

And then I'd do a bathroom and a seperate WC between the 2 bedrooms , as you seem to want a 2 bed and media room . Yes , a bit more plumbing , and you aren't thinking resale yet , but that's what I'd do .

In fact , that's a lie . Here's what I would do , on a slightly larger budget . I'd move the laundry ( more on that in a second ) . I'd do a small rear foyer and back door and also a WC there . Then I'd start Bed 1 , with the door 'down the hall' so all that is seen from the kitchen/family area is a wall . THEN I'd do the bathroom , with a second WC too . Then Bed 2 and the media room .

So you've probably spotted there is no laundry . I've done that on purpose . Why ? Because I'd do a 1 1/2 size or bigger garage on the end -- the same ( or complimentary ) roofline and walls . With water and drainage and power . Put the laundry in there . You know why ?

Because in time , you can turn the media room into bed 3 . You can 'punch thru' and build an ensuite . Or you could turn the garage into a new master , basically bed 4 ( or bed 3 and still have a media room ) with en-suite . A lot more potential , a lot more versatile , for not too much more now .

Just an idea or two .

bekkyboo7 thanked User
  • User
    4 years ago

Oops , amybe I should have read the words properly , and not just the layout and the 'basically flat area' description haha . Having said that , some of the ideas would still apply -- for example , a garage and laundry on the right hand end , and the bathroom between bed 1 and bed 2 , and the possibility of adding an e-suite onto the media room if you ( or the next owner ) want a 4th bedroom . . . . . . . .

bekkyboo7 thanked User
  • oklouise
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

based on your plans, allowing 10cms for all internal and external walls and including a basic garage the floor area is about 197sqm (plus about 8sqm for a standard 20cm thick external wall) but the stairs in that location won't allow for the door from outside as shown in your plan and the upstairs and downstairs need to be planned together to allow the best location for stairs...is the ocean view along the whole east boundary or more to the north or south and is there already or could there be a future two storey house next door and have you considered a garage to the front with the master suite upstairs as the media room would not need a view to the north for night time TV viewing and do you plan for a north east courtyard garden as visitors would have a long walk from the street to the front door and what do you plan for the rear garden...my copy of your plan is centred on the length of the block and still allows for generous setbacks north and south

bekkyboo7 thanked oklouise
  • PRO
    MB Design & Drafting
    4 years ago

BAL 40 and lower is not too bad cost wise.

The roof requirements are the same up to 40.

A standard BAL 40 window uses toughened glass, different seals and is manufactured to tighter tolerances, etc but overall not that much more, some of the BASIX requirements will be covered by the BAL 40 standard windows and glazed doors as well.

Therefore, add the windows if it improves the layout, views, ventilation, etc..... there are BAL 40 approved louvre windows too by the way.

• Kate
    4 years ago

Also put a door on the hall down to the bedroom wing. For privacy and sound control

bekkyboo7 thanked Kate
  • bekkyboo7
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thankyou so much everyone.

DrRetrohousecalls that is a great help. Knowing how much space the internal walls will take from the overall square metre measure will make a big difference.

@Kate the sunken garage will be seperate as it will be lower than the house at the front of the property. I am banking on a short 4 stair and then 4m walk from the garage to the porch in front of the house so hopefully that won't be too traumatic. I know its not ideal but I want to make the most of the front yard for my kids and dog so putting the garage at the front and the house further back helps maximise that. I will put a door on the bedroom wing! Great idea as we have young children thankyou.

@K s the w/c is 1m x 1.8m which I am hoping will give us enough room as I currently have a w/c that is .85 x 1.8m with a small built in sink. The built in part pushes out to 1m so Im hoping the full length at 1m will be enough, not luxurious but enough! Just... ;)

@User thanks for all that feedback! I will keep it all in mind and wiggle things around in the next draw up to see how it all works with those sorts of changes. We are trying to keep our plumbing together and the house down in size so we can optimise on the quality of doors and internal fixtures so I intentionally left a guest w/c off the plan and pushed the bathroom closer to the living so it can be used by guests. I prefer your idea of having it between and having a seperate toilet near the laundry. We have that in our current house and I do like it a lot. The master bedroom will be upstairs with a study and ensuite etc so our plan is that in the future, a new owner may convert the media into a 4th bedroom if they wish. Unfortunately the garage will be seperate so we won't be able to use that for the laundry.

@oklouise thankyou for helping me to work out the sqm. That is very helpful as I can get an idea of what we have left to play with for the upstairs part. I have an idea of what the upstairs would look like, could you explain where I have gone wrong regarding the stair placement? I know the stairs will need to be roughly 4m long so going from the bottom to the landing I have drawn in the plan then turning to the left and going up another two metres would have them pop out about 1.5m from the end of the house above the pantry... would that not work? The ocean view is along the whole east boundary but only at a second storey level. The hope was to orient the main bedroom on the second level to face the view. The neighbours have a single storey house but they are downslope from our house which would place their second storey roof below our second storey master bedroom window (hopefully). The media room will only have long narrow windows to the north for the exact reason you stated. :) The garage will be seperate from the house at the front next to the street so a master above it isn't an option unfortunately. I actually love the idea of using the above garage space for a master as it is almost like out own mini wing. The house will hopefully be set back to approx 3m from the back of the block so we have a very large front yard and only a very narrow courtyard out the back for our dog to use when we have lots of guests in the yard who are unsure of dogs. I was hoping the walk for guests would be via a set of stairs from the front of the garage, along a short path to a patio that will hug the walls along the whole north side of the property. They would then have to walk along the patio to get to the entry. I considered placing the entry in front of the media room but I really like the idea of having doors from the media room. Do you think that would work?

@MB Design & Drafting such a relief to know the windows and doors won't be a huge expense on top of the stardard. I was concerned that would make a big difference. I love the idea of louvers, especially along the south wall to let in the southerly winds we get on a hot day and along the east walk way in front of the bedrooms! Thankyou!!

I really appreciate all your assistance everyone!

• Kate
    4 years ago

Beaky, are you looking at burying the garage fully or only partially.
    Have You looked at the cross-section to see how the garage sits with your north facing front yard behind it. Is the garage roof going to be part of yard?
    What is the setback from the street to the front of house and to the garage. And what state are you in as this may affect the driveway gradient allowed.

• oklouise
    4 years ago

(i've rotated the drawing, not the plan, as it's easier to work with north at the top and east on the right) and here's one variation for upstairs with a simpler staircase that doesn't encroach on upstairs rooms and i've included a covered walkway verandah along the east for a shady afternoon sitting area rather than shading northeren windows and total size including upstairs and verandah is about 215sqm but again suggest that the backyard should be about 6m deep to allow space for a good sized clothesline and a dog run, veg patch, garden shed etc without using the whole yard and there's still very generous gardens at the east and north and having garage on the east allows space for potential future extension or granny flat and maybe a covered walkway from garage to verandah would be a long term addition

• ddarroch
    4 years ago

West facing bedrooms are generally a bad idea, as they can get extremely hot in summer evenings. So I hope there is a lot of shade to the west.

Otherwise I'd consider flipping the plan, so that bedrooms face east. But who knows what will be allowable with your BAL ratings.

https://www.yourhome.gov.au/passive-design/orientation

• oklouise
    4 years ago

thanks ddaroch..accidentally posted wrong variation

• bekkyboo7
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thankyou @ddarroch. I did think about the west facing windows in the bedrooms as I, like you, generally try to avoid west facing windows. There is a high chance the west side of the block will be retained about 90cm with a fence on top and there is also a two storey house on the west side that overlooks the block. This was actually one of the main reasons for the L shape of the house design. Do you think this would be enough to save the bedrooms from the worst of the summer sun? We are also lucky that our block is on the east side of a mountain range up against the side of the mountain so we lose sun quiet early in summer.

@oklouise you have been SO incredibly helpful. Thankyou so much. That really puts it all into perspective and I like the changes you have made to the original design. I'm struggling to understand the stair placement in the upstairs though with the east facing view to the master?

• oklouise
    4 years ago

just realised that in my attempt to reverse the plan i have the stairs leading up into the ensuite instead of ending in the study and i'm now wondering if the upstairs would be better over the dining living areas so that the view from upstairs looks over the front garden rather than over the roof of the living area..so will try some more ideas..glad you noticed but what is the maximum sq m you planned for upstairs?

• bekkyboo7
    Original Author
    4 years ago

@oklouise Oh Im glad im not going crazy! hahah I was convinced I was not looking at it right. We really want to have that view to the ocean from the bedroom but I didn't think about the whole roof thing...hmmm.

We are trying to keep the house under 250 all up as that will hit the top of our budget if we factor it in as $2800 per square metre

• Kate
    4 years ago

Rough ideas at 2 in the morning

bekkyboo7 thanked Kate
  • oklouise
    4 years ago

attempting to improve upstairs views and keep the size around the max 240 sqm (plus verandahs?) this suggestion has the stairs as one long section and a shorter section (total 4m of steps plus the 1m x 1.8m landing) and the ens above the family bathroom and included the deeper verandah for eastern shade and covered entry and northern verandah shallow to avoid blocking winter sun to family room and the verandahs are included under the main roofs to keep the roof shapes simpler with option for an upstairs balcony and low raked ceilings in the family dining kitchen..total floor area of the house is 200sqm plus garage 39sm and verandahs 35sqm but there could be some extra savings by reducing the kitchen, pantry and family room but again suggest that you keep the backyard at least 6m deep ..i did try rotating the stairs and having the master suite above the family room as per Kate's suggestion but this increased the overall size more than you wanted and also restricted views from the kitchen to the garden

• PRO
    MB Design & Drafting
    4 years ago

Having west facing windows isn't as bad as people can be lead to believe. Is it even a straight west, many sites are not perfectly aligned.

It depends on the site and therefore views and/or shading. Shading as mentioned from a 900 mm high retaining wall plus a 1800 mm high fence would be ok. Plant some hedges so the occupants have some to look at as well.

We have south west facing windows and the only time of the year that is an issue is a stinking hot 35 degree+ day with late afternoon sun belting in for 20 minutes before setting. The other summer days and the rest of the year are fine, awesome sunsets and great place for a BBQ 90% of the days! Our views are to the west/south west and off for many kms across treetops to horizon. We get little northern light due to the trees and dwelling on our north west.

The site and its micro climate tells you how to orientate and work shading - keep the theories but don't set them in concrete.

bekkyboo7 thanked MB Design & Drafting
  • oklouise
    4 years ago

good to know M&B, we built an extension with south, east and west facing windows to take advantage of garden views and winter afternoon sun...with careful shading the problems can be modified and on cold winter afternoons it's good to have bright spot to sit inside

• Kate
    4 years ago

Okl drawing is great. Only thing missin is door to master bed. Stayed in an apartment with upstairs master and no door. Was always worried about kids sneaking in unobserved at the wrong time.
    West faced bedroom windows at my place. Don’t need to be big and foliage along fence provides adequate shade most of the time and pull blind on hot days between 1 and 4

bekkyboo7 thanked Kate
  • oklouise
    4 years ago

always another option

• bekkyboo7
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thanks again everyone. @oklouise I am in love with the layout option you have created. We just found out our block has a FSR restriction of 0.3 which means we need a house under 209sqm (excluding garage and verandahs) so that design is perfect. Thankyou so so so much.

• oklouise
    4 years ago

keep in mind that my plan has single external walls and all the inside and outside walls are 10cm thick to make drawing easier and the depth of the verandahs includes the eaves, adding a brick veneer would use more space and given the choice it would be lovely to plan for a covered walkway and raked ceilings in the living areas and this is a very basic gable roof but there are lots of more exciting/expensive roof options to consider

• kbodman14
    4 years ago

Depending on your taste, you could go for less expensive cladding and structural elements, and invest in quality fittings and finishes.

• User
    4 years ago

A 3 metre square tent with a 2 metre diameter chandalier with 400 bulbs haha ?

• bekkyboo7
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Hi everyone, I just thought I would say another big thankyou for all your help with the initial concept for this design. It really helped us to present what sort of home we want to our designer. It has been reworked to accomodate a few restrictions.

• Kate
    3 years ago

Looking great well done, Small think consider linking the wir and en-suite. I would drive me nuts having to walk around the bed between the two.

bekkyboo7 thanked Kate
  • bekkyboo7
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thanks Kate, that was my husband. He really hates the idea of walking through the WIR to the get the en-suite And is worried about mould. The designer had it like you suggested in the beginning.

• oklouise
    3 years ago

plans are looking great and, if you place the bed against the western wall, there will be easier access between wiw and ens

• bekkyboo7
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thanks @oklouise. I did toy with the idea of having a nib wall opposite the entry and wardrobes behind it like this with the entry to the bathroom on the left...

• oklouise
    3 years ago

it would need to be a much bigger room to have that arrangement and your plan allows the flexibility to try the bed on both walls and see what feels most comfortable..your designer has done an excellent job and it is great that you've saved the trees to create such nice outlooks in every direction, all the planning has been time well spent.. well done to you and look forward to some photos of your progress

• bekkyboo7
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thanks so much!