irfanalishah

Help needed! Kitchen in void area dilemma

Irfan Noor
5 months ago
last modified: 5 months ago

Hi guys

I am having a design dilemma where the architect has suggested the floor plan for the ground floor where the kitchen is falling in the area where there is a big void (Opposite to Family room and next to WIP i.e. butler's kitchen. The ceiling over the void area would be about around 6 meters high! Having a kitchen in that area makes me unsure how it will look. For instance there will be empty space over the joinery (which I am not sure will look good) and secondly it will be a problem having light pendants or something like that. The kitchen would open onto the alfresco area which is about 45 square meters.

Please have a look at the attached drawing and let me know of your thoughts. Many thanks!

• PRO
    Paul Di Stefano Design
    5 months ago

the recessed facade option is better, giving more dimension & interest to the facade that will be visible from the side street as well as providing a bulkhead for the kitchen cabinetry to finish up to........... I'd be considering how you could achieve some flexibility and maximising the void feature at the upper level, otherwise it's a relatively big expense limited only to be experienced from the lower level. When we design / craft these spaces (example below) we try and maximise the experience. If separation is desired then you can always deal with that with considering say internal glazing or sliding panels. What you want is flexibility and the feeling of openness. If it was me I'd consider flipping the master around so the main room may enjoy the void as well, and achieve the robe and the ensuite in the more standardised space, or if not at least try and bring the void into the ensuite and robe space with some glazing - far more interesting and making the most of the architectural opportunity, which is the whole point of investing in the design.

Good luck! Cheers PD :)

Rippleside Residence · More Info

Rippleside Residence · More Info

Irfan Noor thanked Paul Di Stefano Design
    Featured Answer
  • Kate
    5 months ago

Can you post the upper level. Cooking smoke and smells will transfer upstairs

• Kate
    5 months ago

Need to put a fridge space onto plan. Fridges need a 700 depth typical bench 600

• Irfan Noor
    Original Author
    5 months ago
    last modified: 5 months ago

Yes thank you, I have uploaded the upper floor. The void itself does not connect to the living spaces or bedrooms etc upstairs... Hope the photo makes sense. We will be having the areas upstairs next to the void - walled off. .

Yes agree abt the fridges, we are aware of the 600-700mm depth. We plan to have them in the area next to the WIP (butler kitchen) door... Most likely integrated

• PRO
    Dr Retro House Calls
    5 months ago

Wow - I like your architect's thinking. It will be a spectacular double-height space with light coming in from three sides. It is very different from many older homes where kitchens were hidden away out of sight. There are no rules that say a kitchen has to be in a single height space.

Double Height Barn Contemporary Kitchen · More Info

If you can't visualise it then I would suggest that you should get your architect to create a 3D image of it, or engage a 3D visualiser to create it.

Best of luck,

Dr Retro

of Dr Retro House Calls

• PRO
    Paul Di Stefano Design
    5 months ago

good idea, but I'd be more concerned about the viability of a 6m+ high wall offset reasonably close to the boundary, particularly if north is up the page and there's potential amenity impacts (overshadowing / visual bulk) to the adjoining neighbour.

• Irfan Noor
    Original Author
    5 months ago

Thank you Paul, we are well within the compliance and there is NO SHADOWING impact on the neighbour on the North aspect. On the South aspect there is a wide street and we are a corner block. We are impacted by the shadow from the neighbour with a double storey building, and not the other way around.

• Irfan Noor
    Original Author
    5 months ago
    last modified: 5 months ago

The architect sent me an option to have a recess in the void area over the joinery. Here is the image. Let me know of your thoughts :)

Edit: I cant seem to upload the photo :-/

Edit 2: Here is the link:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1BdEfLMFjIyHLzYPOMGQJUyTl3wQTUkgA/view?usp=sharing

Another image of the rear of the house:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1ILjOB2IILgXaoBuSP4sDt8uQEJFxDxZR/view?usp=sharing

• Kate
    5 months ago

The tops of cabinets not an issue if can’t be seen from above. If you are worried put in a bulkhead so it just looks like cabinets are recessed into wall. The room is do large you could do that on both sides
    More concern is how to hang lights and remove cobwebs ;). If you dropped the ceiling to say 4m would could get some attic storage. Do we ever have enough storage?
    The overall house layout is fantastic if you can afford a cleaner to cleaner all the bathrooms. Only slight concern is the vulnerability of the vanity in master next to shower door. It might get wet and also be brushed against a lot wearing corners.

Irfan Noor thanked Kate
  • siriuskey
    5 months ago
    last modified: 5 months ago

Love the 3Ds of the house, lighting can be overcome by stringing them across from wall to wall and light positioned to suit. That entrance into the pantry doesn't look right, the door Sliding should be back on the solid wall not cabinet to cabinet, or as I would prefer ,no door

Welcome back Paul D

Irfan Noor thanked siriuskey
  • Kate
    5 months ago

Totally agree with all paul says

Irfan Noor thanked Kate
  • PRO
    3DA Design Drafting and 3D Visuals
    5 months ago

I think it will be gorgeous. I designed my own kitchen in a 5.6m double height ceiling flanked by 2 huge windows. I get morning sun at winter time directly on the island, not to mention I can see moon movement.

Have faith in your architect. Ask him to draw the kitchen up for you and be amazed.

Irfan Noor thanked 3DA Design Drafting and 3D Visuals
  • oklouise
    5 months ago
    last modified: 5 months ago

such a huge void make it feel like a shopping centre and loses the cosier feel that could be enjoyed with a lower maybe 3m or raked ceiling over the kitchen and family room or restricting the taller void to the dining area but have to say that the giant powder room next to the living room and opening directly into the central hallway and next to the stairs is not pleasant ..what are the heights of the other ceilings upstairs and down?

• Irfan Noor
    Original Author
    5 months ago
    last modified: 5 months ago

Thank you everyone for your kind thoughts.

@siriuskey the pantry door is just for illustration and we have not got to the interior design details yet (next stage). We saw a kitchen at Pure Interiors where the walk in pantry door was concealed in the joinery in the sense it all flowed well together. But I will keep your suggestion in mind when we get to that stage.

@appalachianhiker thank you so much for sharing your thoughts and suggestions. The photos are definitely very helpful. I like the glazing at the end of the wardrobe. In the original design, we had the entire wall of the master bed adjacent to the void made of double glazed glass with a gap going all the way to the bathroom.

Here is the link:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1i0OJjoS3db_iFkkhYy-D63F9ZTw_2E77/view?usp=sharing

OR:

The architect changed the entire floor plan because there some issues with the FSR etc. We thought to have so much glazing, it would be very costly...

@3DA Design Drafting and 3D Visuals

Thank you for your comments, are you able to share any photos of the void area and how you design it or perhaps any floor plan etc :)

@Kate Thank you for your comments :)

@oklouise the floor to ceiling heights at Ground floor is 3 meters and the upper floor should be around 2.9 meters or so. I am yet to confirm the upper floor...

• siriuskey
    5 months ago

Just a couple of other observations, the stacker doors off the open plan area is there a plan to incorporate a single opening door within them so that you don't have to crack open one whole set of doors to access the alfresco.

You will have heaps of natural light in the kitchen but why isn't there a window in the pantry it will be a dark hole and you will need to turn a light on, small important detail, you could have a second sink in front of it., Any more detailed dimensions of the kitchen family pantry,cheers

Irfan Noor thanked siriuskey
  • Irfan Noor
    Original Author
    5 months ago

@siriuskey thank you for your comments. We are still double minded with either having stacker doors or bifold doors. The architect suggested stacker doors...

Thank you for the advice about the pantry. We intend to have a sink and likely a second cooktop in there. You are right about a window there. I will tell the architect now . :)

• siriuskey
    5 months ago

With either doors you really need a single door opening in the set., ask your Architect

• PRO
    3DA Design Drafting and 3D Visuals
    5 months ago

Mine is not fully finished yet. Here's some photo and the 3d of how it should look

Floorplan

3d Render

Photo As Built.

Still missing Feature Wall/Ceiling Upturn, Copper Strips, and the Aluminium Open Shelves / Plantings

• PRO
    3DA Design Drafting and 3D Visuals
    5 months ago
    last modified: 5 months ago

Regarding stacker door, you can open just one stack in the middle to open it like normal sliding door.

I have my stacker door, we open one or two or all depending on how windy it is outside. You don't really need a dedicated single door, it works just fine.

I thought of the same thing as you, see the photo below. I got a stacker and a single swing door.

But once I got it installed, I found it to be quite redundant.

My case is a bit different, since the stacker is basicly a ledge window, but I could have designed it differently.

BTW, yes, cobwebs are your enemy. Invest in a cleaners pole and ladder.

But the look of the void outweighs all of those.

• Kate
    5 months ago

Need for a door will depend on how easy the stackers are to open some very large ones can be quite stiff depending on quality