richierichvic

Weird external party wall

richierichvic
4 years ago

Hi guys, first post on the forum and appreciate any views on this one. We have a new build under construction, two townhouses. The architect has designed the party wall to extend a long way out the rear of the house, see attached photo. We missed it during the design discussions and now that it's visible on site it looks very out of place. Have never seen something like this in a number of townhouses we've looked at, which have a very similar design, including ground floor decking at the rear of the house which isn't in place yet.

Not sure it's there from a fire protection or overlooking perspective, as the rear room windows upstairs are frosted.

Any thoughts much appreciated, cheers.

Comments (15)

• Kate
    4 years ago

It’s not fire, it would be overlooking from the deck on the left

• richierichvic
    Original Author
    4 years ago

wouldn't the frosted windows take care of the overlooking issue i.e. you don't tend to see extreme screening like this in the case frosted upstairs bathroom windows that overlook into private open spaces?

• oklouise
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

are there balconies upstairs, how is the wall meant to be finished and why are the upstairs windows frosted?.....you can't have an odd looking wall that serves no obvious purpose and it needs to be clarified with the architect urgently before the builder does any more work...can you post the floor plans for both units

• PRO
    3DA Design Drafting and 3D Visuals
    4 years ago

2 townhouses will mean that is a privacy wall.

• richierichvic
    Original Author
    4 years ago

There are no balconies upstairs, the wall is going to be bricked and rendered if we don’t ask them to cut it out. The upstairs windows are frosted as they have a line of sight into the other townhouse backyard. I’ll try to port the plans.

3DA, i have seen numerous townhouses in the area that replicate our design that do not have this wall.

• richierichvic
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Bump

• Kate
    4 years ago

Do you have the plans? Is there a planning permit?

• richierichvic
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Yes planning and building permits have been issued.

Do frosted windows cover off any overlooking issues i.e. if the wall is there to prevent overlooking and the upstairs windows are frosted then why is it there...

• PRO
    4 years ago

do you mind putting the upper floorplan?

• richierichvic
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Sure, here is lower and upper:

• PRO
    4 years ago

Thx, Initially I thought that is a balcony behind BED04s.

The blade wall I think is to reduce overlooking towards the rear private open space, which is very much preferred.

Looking at the frosted windows already installed, then I think this wall can be made redundant.

Rule is as long as you can screen the view to clear window only on 1500mm height and above, then it should be ok.

As this is already under construction, ask your certifier if this wall can be omitted.

Otherwise, sadly you might need to apply for changes to DA (fees apply)

• richierichvic
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thank you, your theory makes sense: a great deal more sense that the architects rationale for including it given those windows are frosted. Just wished we‘d noticed it earlier, assuming the builder is able to cut it out it’s not going to be an inexpensive exercise.

• PRO
    4 years ago

I also think that is a smart way to end the 2 rooflines.
    Without that party wall, the eaves will be connected and will be hard to put fire separation between the 2 houses.

See the roofplan and you'll know what I mean

• siriuskey
    4 years ago

I think that not only is that wall part of the overlooking issue it is an Architectural feature, once the cladding is finished it will become part of the design and should look stunning.

Frosted glass is never a good privacy screen between neighbours as it's very easy to change to clear., which would be far better if the wall takes care of any issues