conceptsinteriordesign

Modernised Art Deco Apartment Transformation

Concepts Interior Design
4 years ago
last modified: 4 years ago

This project is in the oldest apartment building in Canberra. Built in 1927, the apartment has some charming original deco features; dado rails, sash windows, plaster cornices and high ceilings.

The last refurbishment was done in the ‘80’s and was looking tired and shabby, dark and uninviting, lacking character.

The client’s brief was to bring the apartment into the 21st Century, whilst maintaining the authenticity of the era, thereby allowing her to incorporate the treasured pieces she has collected over the years.

After:

Art Deco apartment · More Info

CID’s challenge was to successfully blend the old with the new, on a restricted budget. CID’s solution was to update cosmetically, working back to the original architecture of the building, retaining all the original features and strategically using colour and new joinery.

In the kitchen we achieved this by simply changing the joinery handles, tapware, installing a splashback more sympathetic to the era, painting the existing cupboard doors and installing a more practical benchtop with a thick, square profile.

Before:

After:

The bedroom had no robe space (the existing cupboards could not even fit a coathanger!) so we introduced extensive tall joinery for hanging and plenty of new drawers which is also a benchseat that sits beautifully underneath the existing window. We then converted the existing 2 tall cupboards to install appropriate shelving for shoes, bags and accessories. Linen curtains, velvet bedhead, storage ottoman at the end of the bed allowed for even more storage and new bedlinen & lamps completed the look.

Before:

After:

In the dining and living we introduced new wall colour, flat paneling, custom rug, furnishings, new lighting and some art pieces to achieve a more inviting location to dine.

Before:

After:

The living area incorporates a beautiful custom rug which in Canberra in necessary in Winter months, linen window coverings, custom soft furnishings and shop bought pieces pulled together by some flat paneling and more current yet classic wall colours & lighting.

Before:

After:

The final result is a modern, contemporary apartment which still retains the cosiness and ambience of a bygone era and reflects our client’s eclectic existing pieces and her individual style.

Check out the entire project here!

Comments (3)

• Kate
    4 years ago

What a gorgeous rug

• JE C
    4 years ago

Stunning

• User
    4 years ago

Nah -- it needs more colour haha ! Just kidding -- I love almost all the work !

If I was being picky , I personally would have had a red cake mixer , OR tried to source red glass-look tiles -- I have never seen even those blue hued ones , and I suspect I will copy that somewhere , sometime thanks !

I assume the client already had the rug -- obviously , Kate and the client love it -- I probably wouldn't have bought it ( I love colour , love bold , in fact I like purple but I don't recall ever doing a purple themed room ? ) , and I like the matching cushions , but just me -- I don't think it quite works with the greener/grey tinged chairs and then the sideboard behind it is a different industrial steel blue but with a different greenish light too ) -- I probably would have gone 'safer' with charcoal chairs and sideboard ; or white for the contrast and to tie in more with the couch ; or gone a lime-ish green for the rug .

But just to show you or the owner has great taste -- I have a very similar cast 'platinum' stylised statue , as well as ( pretty sure it is genuine 1920's -- I paid several hundred dollars so I hope it is -- the cord looks very yellow and aged ) a 'lady light' ( I can't recall the proper name ) with quite a rough-cast opaque ball on one hand . . . . . . .