matejkainteriors

Cozy One-bedroom Apartment Transformation with Smart Storage Solutions

The client recently purchased this one-bedroom unit. Her request was to create a tranquil vibe and space; she will find a refuge to come home and enjoy, combined with functionality and lots of storage space for both the living/dining/kitchen and the bedroom area. A home office space and a breakfast/dining bar were also on her list for the living room.

Before; Limited space, restricting floor-plan, bland coloured walls and lack of storage.

After; For the living room, I picked a beautiful sage green colour for the walls and a suspended wall unit from Ikea in a matching shade to keep the room less divided.

Anna H Reservoir · More Info

The wall unit offered lots of storage for her as well as keeping her entertainment area together. The corner with the windows provided the perfect nook for her office space with desk and drawers, and on the opposite wall near the kitchen, we were able to set up a breakfast bar enhanced with stunning leafy wallpaper. We also designed a shelving structure for framing this space and adding a delicate definition, casing some extra down-lights as well as providing ample storage for her pot plants and baskets on display. The peach colour of this structure reappears on the bedroom walls, where similar shelving in black wraps around the top of the room, offering more storage solutions and interest.

A practical Ikea shelving system is providing a variety of space for more items to be stored. The result is a modern, relaxed space with plenty of storage and well-defined zoning and functionality.

Check out the entire project here!

Comments (7)

• User
    4 years ago

Give me the before any day ! Clean , uncluttered , highlights the wooden floors and door frames , has some colourful art and stools and cushions . I did wonder why you'd put a 1970's microwave on a table , but someone told me that was what TV's were like 100 odd years ago hahaha . More space ? A Bunnings gloss white cabinet on a budget would fit in , or a dark actual wooden one if your budget stretches into the $100's .

Shelves above the couch for anyone over 1.8 metres to knock their head on ? 1960's green paint ? A 'nothing' couch ? A weird collection of pictures on a shelf ? A table that can't work out it its wooden or industrial ? That's okay in itself , BUT combined with a slightly strange wooden light / storage thing IN A DIFFERENT WOOD , and the floor different again , well . . . . . . .

My quick 'vision' based on the before pictures -- leave as is , but add -- a large red rug ( actually 2 -- one in lounge , one in bedroom ) ; a larger abstract work of art ; a flat screen tv mounted on the wall ; possibly red subway tiles in the kitchen ( my current favourite wall tiles are a mix of 25mm tall charcoal , mid grey , aluminium and mid red tiles ) ; and new lights , but you'd actually live with the existing ones if you had to .

• Kate
    4 years ago

It’s certainly made it more cosy, lived in, with lots of storage on a budget. Hate to try and have a cuppa in bed and try and put it down somewhere or reach an alarm clock. Also hate to have to water or dust as the case may be the pot plants up high, but they do add to the lived in feel.

I hope the client loves it and that is the most important thing, to meet the brief, not other people’s taste.

• PRO
    Matejka Interiors
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thank you for your comment, Kate. The client did have a restricted budget and some of the furniture she owned had to be incorporated in the design. A limited budget makes a project even more challenging and I am very proud of being able to meet her expectations and making her very happy with the outcome. Her feedback says it all.

• Kate
    4 years ago

It’s gone from temp accom to a home.

• Austere Hamlet
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

Don't love the arrangements on the ceiling. Reminds me a bit too much of a Macca's cafe. The unit already has a low ceiling height, this doesn't help. But if she's happy, shes happy.

• User
    3 years ago

Glad it's not a makeover for me. Too much going on.