webuser_976859233

Japanese Maples

Daniel S
3 years ago

Anyone have anyluck with japanese maples in perth? im yet to see a good example, im about to dig one out of my court yard that came with my house

Comments (5)

• oklouise
    3 years ago

could you offer the tree on Gumtree or similar for someone to come and take it away and hopefully save it in another location..don't dig it up until you decide

• Daniel S
    Original Author
    3 years ago

thanks worst case ill move it into a large pot under a shaded patio, but was wondering if anyone has had any luck with them in perth metro?

• julie herbert
    3 years ago

I think moving it into a shaded position would be great, they tolerate some sun but the wind is the biggest problem, wait until it has lost its leaves , this is the safest time to relocate it and replant into either pot or shaded area, they are such a beautiful tree, I think you asked what tree in the photo of my back garden, it is an ornamental pear ‘Chanticleer’ outstanding in all seasons

• rocksfam
    3 years ago

A tip from Wagga Wagga, which is a very hot place in summer, is to put a fairly large rock/s at its base. This will help keep the roots cool when the temperature gets up. As Julie says, the wind is a big issue with Japanese Maples.

• Daniel S
    Original Author
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

no idea how i missed these responses. Thanks! I tried quite drastic measures and they did help a bit, but it dropped its leaves totally about twice once in December then finally late march. Both a thick shade cloth wind break and a large umbrella covering it.

Pic is from late Jan after it had regrown its leaves, 8 weeks later its shed them again.

Its looking the only way is to dig it out in july