harrymarcus

To plantation shutter or to not plantation shutter...

Harry Marcus
3 years ago

Hi all,

I hope everyone is staying safe.

We fully renovated our place a couple of years ago now and had roller blinds fitted throughout.

In the main bedroom (picture 2) we have a 3.1M window, with the roller blind looking quite dominating when rolled down at night. Also, light leakage at night isn't great.

We're about to convert our third bedroom into a baby room and I've considered plantation shutters for the aesthetics and light blocking qualities.

I'm also considering it for the main bedroom. I love the look, but I'm petrified that it's going to darken the room, and we're going to lose the ability to have a large open wide window, particularly given water views.

The company that has quoted so far has said it'll make the room appear bigger with more light, presumably a part of the sales pitch.

I'm somewhat torn, and feel it's quite the gamble. Keen to hear if anyone has any relevant experience/views on plantations for this circumstance?

My alternative plan to block out light is to install another roller blind within the reveals (I've done that in the second room and it works quite well).

cheers guys!

Comments (8)