louisenzinmelb

Sliding french doors (?real name) - available in Australia?

louisenzinmelb
3 years ago

Has anyone seen sliding doors similar to the style in the top photo? What is the official name of this style?

And should I let this dream go now because of the likely price...?

Would the bifold option below it be an alternative option for a similar look?

Thoughts appreciated!

Comments (6)

• Darshana Hewage
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

It is possible to be made and get delivered this kind of sliding french door. If you are interested call on 0410867258.

• Kate
    3 years ago

I would describe these as triple stacked glass sliding doors with 3 intermediate crossbars The crossbars are architectural not structural

• PRO
    Dr Retro House Calls
    3 years ago

Yes, check out Steel Windows Australia. They design and hand-build this style of steel window with the thin, elegant frames, and can ship Australia wide. I haven't seen exactly your style of door on their website, but they have every other conceivable shape and size steel frame window (as they are all custom made), so best to contact them.

https://www.steelwindowsaustralia.com.au/

The window in your photo is really big, tall and wide, so with traditional window framing materials, like timber and aluminium it is going to be really expensive. When you go to steel windows, it will be even more expensive, plus the cost of shipping to wherever you are - probably on a semi-trailer, with a crane at the other end.

So how many tens of thousands of dollars were you hoping to spend on your beautiful, elegant, super-sized, steel framed, custom-made window (including delivery)?

Best of luck,

Dr Retro

Dr Retro House Calls/Dr Retro Virtual Visits

• Austere Hamlet
    3 years ago

The real ones are steel and are indeed an amazing architectural feature. I lived in a 1930's apartment block in Sydney with originals. They are stunning but certainly not maintenance free. Although modern coatings would make them easier to live with than the originals. Steel windows and doors however are not cheap,

If it's the major feature of your home you could certainly justify the cost, but if it's just one of a laundry list of wants then you might find you get more mileage from ticking a few items off the list instead and living with standard doors. Beautiful they are but if they are not integral to the design of the home you could probably live with an alternative.

• PRO
    3DA Design Drafting and 3D Visuals
    3 years ago

With that frame thickness most probably its aluminium.
    Try contact Magic Glass. they specialized in these things. Its called stacker door. It slides and stacks.