lisa_fusinato

Shou Sugi Ban burnt timber cladding

Lisa Fuzz
3 years ago

Does anyone have any experience with Shou Sugi Ban blackened timber as an external cladding? Is it expensive compared to typical cladding materials? Does it weather well in areas with cold, wet winters?

Comments (3)

• PRO
    Aardvark Architecture
    3 years ago

Delta Millworks in Texas has a really great selection. I'm quite partial to their gator texture.

https://deltamillworks.com/collections/shou-sugi-ban/

Yes, it's more expensive due to the added labor costs to control burn the wood, but it's such a unique look and has numerous benefits (termites and pests don't like eating burnt wood, burnt wood is harder to catch fire again, etc), but the main benefit is the unique aesthetic. It truly is a special material. Reach out to Delta and ask for some samples!

Lisa Fuzz thanked Aardvark Architecture
  • ellena_wens
    2 years ago

I was looking into it here inAustralia and was told it definitely needs to be re oiled every 2-3 years and will fade from the sun - Iam going timber composite cladding for the no fuss maintenance

• rocksfam
    2 years ago

There was an episode of Grand Designs NZ where it was used and the owners did it themselves. It was a really interesting build and I would recommend you have a look if you're interested in this finish. From memory, the owner was a builder and it was a pretty high end project.