melanieec

Ideas on how to update old cream brick facade?

Melanie C
3 years ago
last modified: 3 years ago

I am in the process of progressively renovating my house and am looking for ideas on how to update the external cream brick facade. Ideally I'd like a cost efficient approach as I'd rather invest my budget into other areas like the kitchen and laundry.

Already, I intend to replace all gutters and down-pipes (new down-pipe to run down the middle of the upstairs windows, as currently there is a downpipe in the cavity which causes moisture issues in the downstairs living area), remove the existing garage structure (all lightweight) and extend the lower level roof across and install a new garage door. I also plan to paint the window frames.

For updating the front brickwork I have identified the following options so far:

• Having the roof tiles painted, and painting the brickwork (I am worried this will just look like a poor attempt to mask a dated facade)
  • Rendering the whole house (somewhat expensive, plus will look odd with the current window sill bricks)
  • Rendering the lower 2/3, and weatherboard lining the top 1/3 (somewhat expensive, plus I think with the bay window some of the detailing may be difficult / look out of place)

I'd be keen to hear of thoughts on the above, any other ideas, potential colours and how I could wrap the update around the back of the house.

Photos provided (the front garden is planned to be completely redone, with the palm trees coming out!)

Thanks in advance!

Comments (20)