lee_kirkpatrick

i'm having problems striking ivy? anttips or tricks?

Lee Kirkpatrick
3 years ago

I have taken some slips from a wild Ivy and its not responding.

Comments (3)

• oklouise
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

first try and identify the exact species and Google specific propagation advice..is it a native plant or one of the traditional English Ivies usually the easiest way to strike ivy cuttings is to half bury it where it's wanted but for your problem plant try cutting away some of the leaves, scraping a little skin off the bottom end of the cutting, dip in honey or rooting compound before planting in damp seed raising mix in a pot enclosed in a plastic bag in a bright room out of direct sun and wait.. but sometime the only way to strike a cutting is to throw it into the compost and allow the plant to decide if it likes your garden..

• rocksfam
    3 years ago

Hi Lee, I recently struck some ivy by putting it in a vase of water. It grew roots within a couple of weeks and I potted it up and grew some beautiful ivy. I don't know what variety it was but I had bought 1 generic ivy plant from Bunnings and took cuttings as I wanted it to spill over some large pots. It was surprisingly expensive to buy the number I needed hence my attempt to strike them, which was fortunately successful!

• julie herbert
    3 years ago

Yes a glass of water is the best, just refresh the water every few days, pop it on the window ledge, fascinating to watch , then plant out once roots are established.