regency_cream

How do you determine the proportions of a sofa and rug for small room?

Regency Cream
3 years ago
last modified: 3 years ago

Hoping for some guidance please for the layout of a small living room. I am wanting to make sure that the pieces are to scale and in the right proportions for the room. I don't want to put furniture in that is too small that makes it look like doll's house furniture or go too large with an over-sized couch that overwhelms the space and makes the room look small and cluttered.

How do you work out what is the best sized sofa and a floor rug for a living room? I'm thinking a 2.5 seater sofa (less than 2m long) may work best but am unsure.

The dimensions of the room are 3.3m x 4.55m approx with a window and door on the 4.55m wall and a pair of french doors on the other 4.55m wall as well as another doorway. So that wall has a wall space of only 120cm.

Here is a rough diagram:

Is it best to go with an arm chair and sofa or 2x two seater sofas or a three seater etc if the room is of small proportions?

Any thoughts people may have about rug and couch size, and direction to how to lay this room out I'd appreciate. My choice sofa would be an English roll arm but am open to suggestions.

Thanks..

Comments (4)