sue_piper19

Dulux white recommendation

Sue P
3 years ago

Hello, I am planning a kitchen renovation and am using Silestone Calacatta gold as the island and back splash. I am installing a dark ish chocolate chevron floor (with green/grey/warm tone). I currently have whisper white walls but think it it might be too yellow for the floor and benchtop. Can anybody recommend the best Dulux white for the kitchen cabinets and wall. I would preferably like the cabinets and wall to be the same colour. I do love the depth of whisper white but do not want creamy kitchen cabinets. I have looked at snowy mountains quarter but I don’t think I love the colour. I do not want a cool white but a warm white on the cool side if that makes sense. Would love any photos of anyone who has a kitchen with white cupboards and the Silestone calacatta gold benchtop.

Comments (18)

• asorbak
    3 years ago

we are going for Dulux natural white for our new home. Not painted yet

• Sue P
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thanks Asorbak. I had Natural White in my old home. It’s a beautiful milky white and gave you that nice warm feeling. I always thought though, different house, different colour. I used white swan for the ceiling and trims and it looked beautiful.

• HU-289268582
    3 years ago

Did you decide on a colour white for kitchen and walls? I also need to choose a Dulux white.

• Sue P
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Hello, I actually forgot I posted this and came across it in my search for the perfect white. I came across a few pics online where the cabinets were painted in Dulux white on white and Taubmans illusive white. Both had the Silestone calacatta gold benchtop. They both looked lovely. I have just painted an undercoat on the walls and really need select a white. I’ve tried snowy mountains quarter but I can see the pink undertone. I think any warm whites to look very different in different lights. Whisper white looks different depending on the light. I tried a few cool whites and I am leaning towards Dulux Lexicon quarter strength as it looks lovely with the floor boards but I think it may be too white for the Silestone benchtop. So the answer to your question, no not really. I think I will decide between whisper white and Dulux lexicon quarter. Did you decide on a white? Btw, I’ve seen a house and kitchen painted Taubmans China Doll and it’s really pretty. When I tried it at home, the pink undertone came through. The colours can look very different when you paint them on plaster board compared to render.

• Sue P
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Have a look at the Premier kitchens website. They have a great range of pics and it says what colour the cabinets are.

• HU-289268582
    3 years ago

I have chosen Taubmans Elusive white at this point in time... I "think" I will stick with this as we tried several colours on the walls and can definitely see the blues and creams come through in them. We were choosing between vivid white and Elusive.

• Sue P
    Original Author
    3 years ago

They sound like nice choices. I am wanting the kitchen to be the same colour as the rest of the house and if I choose a different colour (from whisper white), I will have to repaint everything. Are you going with the Silestone calacatta benchtop? Also, what colour are your walls?

• Sue P
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Also, have a look at this link. These are Dulux vivid white cabinets with caeserstone staturio maximus. This stone is quite yellow.

https://www.gspgroup.com.au/portfolio/showroom/

• Sue P
    Original Author
    3 years ago

If you have a look on the coasttocoast profile on Instagram, they have Taubmans elusive white cabinets with the Silestone calacatta gold benchtop

• HU-289268582
    3 years ago

Hi SueP, thanks for the info. Will check it out. We are using the Elusive white on the cabinets and on the walls also. We have locked in and ordered Silestone Calacatta Gold. There will be a slight difference in the shades of bench to cabinets in low light (I think) but I will be ok with that...

I think the whisper white cabinets will be good. I don't think we tried that one? We tried so many different whites.

• Marylee H
    3 years ago

You may find this article an eye-opener when pairing two colours of white or white + off/white.

Keeping walls and cabinetry the same colour is a classic way of using white. But if you want to use two different colours of white this will help.

https://thelandofcolor.com/forums/color-paint-design/how-to-choose-white-paint-colors-secret-to-getting-white-right/

This uses the Munsell Colour System and the difference in Chroma (colourfulness) between two colours, to ensure neither looks dingy next to the other is 0.2.

If walls are too yellow (colourful) for your liking it means they have more Chroma than you wish for.

The example here shows the Extra White is higher Value (lighter) and more neutral

(lower Chroma) than White Dove. So they will work well together.

• Sue P
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thank you Marylee for your post. It was a great read. Unfortunately, I don’t think the paint colours in Australia have a chroma value but I do understand the concept from the article. From my understanding, you can only see the red, blue and green values and the LRV value which I believe is the darkness of the colour. You can get a colour in half or quarter strength but I don’t believe there is a chroma value associated with each paint colour. Thank you again?

• Marylee H
    3 years ago

Hi Sue - it’s true - lots of paint companies don’t publish the data.

But every single one of them has a measurement for Lightness / Hue Family / Chroma for each paint colour.

For that is the system they use to conceive, make and match each paint colour in the first place.

EasyRGB includes Dulux Paint and Frazee, Taubman’s and Benjamin Moore, all available in Australia.

Every paint colour has an

L = Lightness,

C = Chroma

h° = hue angle°

So you know how light or dark, how colourful or near neutral and in which Hue Family each sits.

In this system, consider a minimum difference in Chroma of 2, rather than 0.2. found in the images I posted above, between whites/off-whites.

Were you to use Benjamin Moore, many are found in the Colorographies at The Land of Color.

Taubmans themselves only publish Light Reflectance Value LRVf) each colour but nothing else.

RGB or #Hex are the same and only useful for making digital swatches of a colour. No use to a householder.

So,,,, if you fancy a Sherwin Williams product or Farrow and Ball colour, you can find all the important values for each colour and the nearest matches in Dulux, Frazee, Taubman’s, Benjamin Moore etc. on EasyRGB

If you are comparing 3 very similar colours, you can consider each of their attributes separately on EasyRGB. Quick. Simple. Fun.

🌈

See where Taubman’s Quill sits in the Yellow Hue Family at 94°

🌈

• Sue P
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thank you Marylee. This is very insightful. Do you have a favourite white that works with dark floors for both walls and kitchen cabinets?

• Sue P
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Hi Hu,

I have an A4 sample of elusive white and on the back it says it’s also called crisp white and illusive white. There are a few pics on Pinterest and Instagram if you look up taubmans crisp white.

• Marylee H
    3 years ago

Hi - 2 points really.

From the info I have to hand, We are moving increasingly clockwise on the Color Strategist Color Wheel, from top to bottom on this list, farther away from the Yellow-Red Hue Family, further into the Yellow Hue Family.

Elusive White is both the lightest and most colourful of all the whites above.

Wouldn’t it be so much easier to make detailed comparisons if the companies published their information?

If you are after less Yellow, then you are looking for a white with less Chroma, than Elusive White.

If you are looking for darker then you are after a white with a lower value, (lightness) than

Elusive White.

If you are looking for less peachy warmth then again moving further away from the Yellow-Red Hue Family helps mitigate that.

Before all that I would ask myself if I want the cabinets/walls or worktop to be the lightest & most neutral element of the room and then pivot all my other white colours from there.

Again keeping a contrasting difference in Chroma between the white surfaces means none should appear murky/grubby next to the others.

It is possible to buy little hand-held devices to measure the colour attributes of the worktops. See Vario Color Muse, NCS Color Pin, Spectro 1

🌈

• Sue P
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thank you Marylee. I appreciate the time you have spent to write this. 🙂