sara_finnigan

Ugly Duckling Debra - Exterior Facelift

Sara Finnigan
3 years ago

Hi everyone. Seeking some input on the facade of our renovation. Original 1977 house in Queensland. Our interior colour scheme is black, white, grey and timber. We are looking for some ideas to transform the exterior... currently:

• paint the brick OR
  • render the front & paint remaining
    Definitely on the list
  • carport upgrade to a garage
  • driveway resurface
  • patterned tile at the front door.
    But any ideas would be great... we are already at the 6m limit to our boundary and any extensions past that will cost additional with council approval. Looking for mainly cosmetic.

Comments (12)

• C P
    3 years ago

Debra is funky and cool (or at least she has potential). Leave bricks as they are but replace windows and get black frames. Replace door. landscape and include crazy paving as your hard surface outside the front on house

• C P
    3 years ago

Follow parrotdog123 on Instagram. She has photos of homes just like Debra.
    Embrace a bit of mid-century modern which Debra resembles

• C P
    3 years ago

And avoid parking in front of window and find parking space to the right if possible.

• Sara Finnigan
    Original Author
    3 years ago

@C P - thank you. Good tips.

• dreamer
    3 years ago

Assuming that your photos are the ones with the cars. The other photo looks like a kept lawn. I would suggest:
    Window shutters to match other internal windows, for the window that the car is parked in front of.
    Landscaping with garden bed and large pots either side of the front door.
    As said by CP, black trims and windows would look good against your bricks. If you render bricks, there is no turning back.

You could Add a simple portico that matches the angle of roof line. Photos of examples attached.

• dreamer
    3 years ago

If you want to change the bricks, I would paint the bricks a white or light colour. This will then give the texture of the bricks. Rendering will just make it look like another rendered home.
    Add your skillion portico, and it would be a dramatic change.

• PRO
    3DA Design Drafting and 3D Visuals
    3 years ago

OMG. I love it. Don't change the roofline. Its perfect. Just need a bit of clever twist and new wall treatment it will be a gem.

• oklouise
    3 years ago

research some of the mid century modern homes photos on HOUZZ for some inspiration and try to avoid changing too much..it's a great looking house already although i would include a new front porch to shelter the front door

• PRO
    3 years ago

Chk out this sketch. a minimalistic approach should do the trick. Fascia cladding to modernize the roof, then a slim canopy downturn, and cladding to the left side. paint brick or render from maindoor to garage. I think carport looks amazing instead of a lockup?

• Sara Finnigan
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thanks everyone - we have a deciduous tree on the nature strip hence the yard not looking flash atm! The garden is a selection of Australia native plants that are drought tolerant due to water restrictions etc. really like the cladding idea.

After having a look at the mid century modern houses I’m like the colour scheme of this one and not exactly the same we could achieve some
    Of the elements with the cladding etc in addition the grey & timber start to create a flow through the house.

• PRO
    3 years ago

Similar roofline and pallette