jodie_narik

Solid Timber Floor - vacuum scratching it

Jodes
3 years ago

We finished building our dream home approx 8 months 8 months ago.

It has blackbutt solid timber floors throughout a majority of the home.

I expected it to sustain wear and tear but it is continually getting long reasonably deep scratches across it. I think I have finally worked out that it is our vacuum cleaner! I use an upright stick very popular model.

I use the head specifically for timber flooring but I think small stones are getting trapped under it somehow.

The house is that large that sweeping would take forever and I find the dust just flies around.

Does anyone have suggestions what to use to clean the floor that won’t mark it?

Comments (10)

• PRO
    Mollie Kohn Interiors
    3 years ago

I use a Dyson stick on my hardwood floor. It is version 8, so just has one type of head and it does not scratch my floor. Hope that helps.

• Jodes
    Original Author
    3 years ago

This is the head I’m using. Everything is rolling as it should. I’m just wondering if the stones get stuck on the sides or in front of the rear roller. It’s the only thing I can think of.

• Kate
    3 years ago

Are the rollers down. You have them up for carpet

• Jodes
    Original Author
    3 years ago

This head is specifically for hardwood floors. Can’t alter anything.

• dreamer
    3 years ago

Maybe you need to spend $30 on a decent entry door mat, so the shoes are cleaned of stones,and dirt before entering your beautiful floors.

• Louise Calleja
    3 years ago

I had exactly the same thing happen with my floors, though I didn't care as we were just about to renovate. I use a Dyson ball version. I changed the head to the hard floor option and no problem now.

• Jodes
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Shoes are removed before entering the house and mat at the door so those bases are covered but stones still get tracked in.

I use the hardwood head but the stones get caught and dragged in the felt underneath.

I’ve just resorted to the old fashioned broom. Slower but no risk of scratching.

• Davincicalbourne
    2 years ago

Hi there we have found best thing is no vacuum. We use Enjo dust mop, dustbuster to get that up in the corners then damp Enjo floor mop. Cleans beautifully and no damage over many years.

• whicker101
    2 years ago

I agree Enjo range for the floor. Had no issues with beautiful timber in 14 years.