wolfie9

Chairs dinting floorboards

wolfie9
3 years ago

We recently moved into a new home with floorboards. We bought some gorgeous (and expensive) new chairs that are quite heavy and have thin legs. They are dinting the floorboards and making terrible marks. Does anyone have any advice? The floorboards seem quite soft. Do they need to be sanded back and a hard coat applied or something? Or is this just inevitable with this type of chair?

Comments (3)

• oklouise
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

first try some cheap chair leg protectors

but a thick rug under the table..wide enough to protect the floor when the chairs are pulled out might help as the floor won't be hardened by sanding but is it solid timber or laminate?... check with a flooring supplier for advice

• Kate
    3 years ago

Timber will dint. Change chairs to a thicker leg to reduce point load or add a rug to protect floor. May need a rug anyway. Remember dents add to character of a timber floor. At least I keep telling my husband that, not sure if he believes me yet. Funny how we are happy to see dents in a 100 year old floor as history but not newer floors.

• PRO
    Beach Bathrooms
    3 years ago

Don't know if you have resolved "denting."

Flooring looks as if Baltic Pine If so it is the softest of all floorboards and dents easily.

Most homes of 1920s had a central carpet square, surrounded by Black Japan bare flooring, should you remove any carpet, this will be evident.