webuser_762942338

where to start...

HU-762942338
3 years ago

We are doing a full house reno. Knocking a wall out, full bathroom, kitchen, bedrooms (wardrobes), doors everything...
Installing down lights, moving the hot water system, closing in an external wall and changing a window to a sliding door. Power points and the air con control will need to be moved. Plumbing for dishwasher etc added.

Where do we start?

Comments (12)

• Kate
    3 years ago

Do your budget, selecting all your products and check on timing for each item and add that to your project timeline, nothing worse than having to put things on Golder for that window on back order . Then Assuming you have moved out, Start with asbestos check, then demo. Get rid of everything you don’t want so get a clean slate to put all the goodies back in. Part of demo includes structural changes adding lintels and beams for new openings. Then rough in electrical and plumbing. Plastering waterproofing tiling.

• HU-762942338
    Original Author
    3 years ago

What about knocking out a wall that has a light switch and the air con controller on it? Does someone need to come in and move them?

• oklouise
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

do not begin to demolish anything until you know exactly what's inside the wall.. do you have a plan of all the new work including drawings and a list of what you want to do showing locations of old and new walls, new kitchen cabinet plans, new appliances, bathrooms, plumbing and electrical work, do you intend to live in the house during the renovation and a spare bathroom and cooking facilities that you can use for weeks and months during the renovation, do you already have a carpenter, plumber, electrician, carpenter, tiler, waterproofer, painter, new kitchen plans and cabinetmaker and all the new cabinets, sink, taps, tiles, toilet, etc etc... how old is the house, do you know if there's any asbestos that needs removal, do you expect to be able to do any of the unskilled work and already have all the equipment to do the work safely??..for such a big renovation i suggest that you invest in a builder who can organise everything so that you only have to worry about the million decisions for choice of tiles, taps, colours etc but don't have to arrange the skilled labour..a well recommended builder should have a pool of trades people who can be juggled to all arrive in the correct sequence but the first question they will ask is where are your plans? the last time we did a similar renovation took about 18 months, our trusted builder with his team of excellent tradespeople, our own unskilled but experienced efforts, a frightening amount of money and we didn't have to live in the house, look after children nor go out to earn a living at the same time but do you have a plan of the original house and your wish list? HOUZZERS can offer lots of good ideas but you need to start with the big picture

• Kate
    3 years ago

Yes get a electrician to make safe any electrical being disturbed. But some can be done with main switch off at switchboard,
    If u need to ask these questions then u need an expert

• PRO
    Dr Retro House Calls
    3 years ago

Do your research. Do your budget. And do an owner builder course. And don't run out of money halfway through as you haven't done these first three things. Or engage a builder who can progress manage all of these conflicting things in a logical and sensible order.

Best of luck, Dr Retro of Dr Retro House Calls/Dr Retro Virtual Visits

• HU-762942338
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Kate we have done all these things we are just triple checking to ensure that we are safe.
    We have all our plans and everything ready to go, we are just reaching out for a second opinion to ensure we will be fine.

• Kate
    3 years ago

Great. Best of luck. Hope u enjoy the process.

• macyjean
    3 years ago

There are things which by law unqualified people cannot touch which I assumed was the gist of your follow-up question so when you say you are just triple-checking how close to starting the physical work are you and who is doing the work?

• dreamer
    3 years ago

Any electrical work needs to be performed by a licensed electrical contractor. So yes, you need someone ie: an electrician, to disconnect and plug wiring correctly, and then when new structure is ready, get them back to install new wiring for downlights, power points etc.
    This should never be a question for someone that is about to knock walls down in their home. This should be a known requirement. You are risking your and tradesman lives by not doing this correctly.

• HU-762942338
    Original Author
    3 years ago

I’m not stupid we are well aware of that. I was just asking other people on what order they have done things in and how they have done it.

• oklouise
    3 years ago

have your plans ready and agreed to by all the owners, keep a diary and folder with all your documents and contact details etc, organise enough money plus contingency, arrange separate renovation insurance and owner builder licence if needed, consult trades, agree on timetable and who will buy what...can they offer a better discount, recommend suppliers and brands, discuss scope of work, ongoing communication and payments arrangements, order all new fittings and fixtures to be on site checked, stored safely, labelled clearly and easy to find when needed, (keep all the receipts in case you need to quickly change something..i've returned taps a toilet and sink (in resale condition) with a 12 month old receipt to Bunnings without complaint) first clear away anything that won't be needed on site and decide on a storage area, then site prep and demolition, clean up, order new kitchen and bathroom cabinets and wardrobes, be ready to change the timetable to suit the weather, missing tradie or PC item you don't want anyone standing around without work to do so make sure that everyone knows what's happening and when and plan some "spare time " jobs..eg all the paint prep etc so you need to have all the equipment on site and ready to use, site prep for plumbing and electrical, build new walls, first fix electrical and plumbing, plastering, install skirts, architraves and doors (except bathroom doors should be installed after tiling) final measurements for cabinets, painting, new flooring, install kitchen, final fix electrical and plumbing, final touch up painting and collapse...i'm sure i've forgotten some vital step but it depends on what you're doing and how reliable everyone is but doesn't matter how often we do it something always goes wrong so keep your sense of humour and focus on the goal..best of luck!!

• PRO
    Bonnie Mills Architecture and Interiors
    3 years ago

There's 1 simple answer to this! Set your brief!! I cover this in my latest blog post: https://www.bmai.com.au/Blog02