peppermint__patty

Can a colorbond roof ever look good on a clinker brick home?

Patsy N
3 years ago

Can a colorbond roof ever look good on a clinker brick home? Or will we go straight to design hell?

The context:

My husband and I have recently purchased a 1930s clinker brick home in Reservoir, Melbourne. It's quite unadorned with a couple of art deco-ish features inside.

We've found out that the roof needs a full renovation, which will cost quite a bit of money. It appears that the cost of a brand new colorbond roof will cost less.

Look, we know it's not the most period-appropriate choice. The house is in an area with many similar homes, and despite driving down every street, we can't find a single house with a brick+colorbond combo.

Should we take this as a sign that it will look bad?

Or is there an example out there that we haven't even considered, where the colorbond roof and bricks sing together in harmony?

(Google street view photo attached as we haven't settled yet and don't have proper pics.)

Thanks for your feedback. Be brutal, we can take it!

Comments (6)

• Susan Clark
    3 years ago

I love a metal roof and if you are concerned about the bricks clashing you could paint or bag them down the track. Clinker bricks aren’t my thing and they absorb too much heat... painting or bagging them a light colour can really help to reduce heat gain in summer.

• Patsy N
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thank you both for your thoughtful responses.

@Austere Hamlet, I have to say I feel very buoyed by your generous and detailed advice! You're quite right in saying that the family who originally lived in that home would have chosen above all to make it watertight (hahaha).

I appreciate you giving us some direction with regards to colour and profile. If we do pursue the colorbond roof, we'll certainly consider those recommendations.

• PRO
    MB Design & Drafting
    3 years ago

Corrugated (custom orb) was definitely around in the 1930's on brick houses.

I use so much custom orb that it is great to see tile roofs on older properties.

Its a 50/50 for me, choose colours carefully.

Clean and repair the bricks only. Beautiful brickwork on these homes.

• Patsy N
    Original Author
    3 years ago

@MB Design & Drafting thanks for the feedback! Don't worry, we're not going to do anything to the bricks. We love the rich colours and would never cover them up.

• Kate
    3 years ago

Yes, there was a phot posted a month ago that had done it and it looked fab. Sadly I can’t find it for you,