beaumitchell

Improve and Modernise Existing House Plan (25 year old home)

beaumitchell
3 years ago

Hi Houzz Community,

We are a family of 3.

2 adults, 1 child currently 9 years old. We wish to renovate our home. I need help in gathering your advice and opinions on improving our floor plan.

Note* We are able to extend the house forward by 2.5m. Arrows indicate this on the plan. The area at the side of the house will contain a separate unattached granny flat 2 bed 1 bath for extra income.

1. The Brief
    I would like to create a home that:
    -is a functional family home
    -sees our only child through school and beyond

My wants for our home are:

1. Larger master bedroom. How can we increase size and create a larger ensuite? We would sacrifice WIR for more bathroom space
  2. Excellent storage! (existing home has very minimal general storage- single narrow pantry in kitchen and a double linen cupboard in hallway.)
  3. Functional laundry
  4. 2 separate living areas- kids and adult space.
  5. Car accommodation (double enclosed garage)
  6. Functional kitchen with much more storage
  7. Study nook for my son.
  8. Indoor / outdoor connection - Alfresco- live in Perth- sunny for most of the year
  9. 4 bedrooms (currently all bedrooms are small, will need extending) Question...are we better to settle for 3 larger bedrooms? Is resale better as 4 bed?

In our suburb, our house would be considered on the smaller side, (visiting other homes on play dates etc) However, we are a family of 3 and extremely unlikely to have another child.

In addition my husband is a plumber and gets very grotty. Ideally it would be great if we could plan something where laundry or bathroom/shower area were easily accessible, perhaps through side of house or garage so as not to come dirty through the house? Just a thought.

Comments (15)