bambi_damty

Design Dilemma - Barn Door or Cavity Door?

Bee Phillips
3 years ago

We have a home office/guest room which, due to lockdown, is getting high use from both my husband and I who both work from home.

The main issue is the door which opens inwards to the office and means we lose use of a whole wall. I have a String Furniture bookshelf ready to install in that wall. And it also currently means the rug placement is impacted as the door won’t move over it.

We’re considering a barn door or a cavity door - both would mean removal of the current door and reshaping the doorway to match the height and style of the opposite bedroom door. Plus there is a light switch currently on the wall where the door would be installed.

Another consideration is that the room only has borrowed light from both the current glass door and a glass window.

A cavity door would mean we could still keep the second desk against that wall (a necessity during lockdown) whereas a barn door would be awkward. I’m not sure if it would be possible to have a glass cavity door to keep an extra source of light when the door is closed for Zoom meetings.

Any ideas greatly appreciated!

Comments (24)