webuser_241364140

Self-levelling surface is powdery after application - normal?

HU-241364140
3 years ago

Hello experts,

I've paid to level our floor with self-levelling compound (mapie ultraplan eco product was used).

The surface after 3-4 days of drying is very powdery in many areas. It sticks to the hand when I run my hand over it, and if I rub a little harder it seems to be coming off. Almost like it hasn't bonded properly.

Other areas are absolutely smooth and solid, not powdery at all.

I wanted to know if this is normal. Is it that the powder is just on the surface, but underneath it is cured and bonded properly? Why would some areas be so smooth and not others not?

The installer is telling me that this is normal and nothing to worry about.

Our objective is to install hybrid flooring - and we were advised to level the floor, hence we went down this path.

Thank you in advance.

Comments (3)

• macyjean
    3 years ago

I don't know about the product you are talking about but the texture and the variation in the texture across the job sounds concerning. How long is it supposed to take to cure? Was the temperature at the time of application within recommended parameters?

(I'm interested to know because we are thinking about doing similar and were told we might need the self-levelling compound too.)

• Kate
    3 years ago

Yes you needed to level the floors. It sounds like it needs sealing otherwise dust make keep coming up. Contact the manufacturer of the product used for advice,

• PRO
    DUOMIT
    2 years ago

The water-cement proportions were wrong due to overwatering during the mixing of self--leveling compounds. We do a lot of pour with Mapei and never had an issue. Most likely, the leveler is soft now. Read more here https://duomit.com/your-floor/self-leveling/