alansteph22r

Timber Cathedral Ceiling:To paint or not to paint?! Also Kitchen Ideas

No.5
18 days ago

I would love some opinions...we have a large family /dining room adjoining our kitchen, (see photos) and flooring is a floating timber floor in Jarrah colour. The ceiling is cathedral style finished in pine which is a yellow/honey colour. Both were already there when we moved in 5 years ago. I have always felt the two timber colours didn't blend well, and the colour of the ceiling can often give everything in the room a yellow hue when the sun is shining which I really dislike. Sooo....the big question. Would it be a crime to paint it a light colour, say off white? Glad of thoughts/ideas. Thanks in advance.
Also needing ideas re our adjoining kitchen. Not wishing to replace it, simply upgrade it a little so it doesn't look dated. Would like to replace the dark red glass splashbacks with a more modern tile, and maybe change the door handles etc...Ideas please! Thanks.

• Kim
    18 days ago

I have had a couple of clients who have had exactly the same dilemma. It is personal and some people don't like to paint wood.
    From what you say you don't particularly like it and I actually do think it would really look good if it is painted - could be an arborist task whoever takes it on. The light will reflect better in the space and it will feel higher as well as fresh.
    If you change the splashback perhaps consider covering the wall in its entirety. The bulkhead makes it a bit tricky in the corner thou..

Featured Answer
  • J Wright
    18 days ago

Please paint the ceiling. It would look much nicer IMO.

• julie herbert
    18 days ago

That ceiling is spectacular.

• julie herbert
    18 days ago

I do love the ceiling, maybe a lighter white paint on walls will really highlight the craftsmanship of the timber ceiling, also updating the cream to white in the kitchen would make the splash back shine, black bar stools would tie it all together, add some gorgeous black accessories to bench...gorgeous

• No.5
    Original Author
    18 days ago

Thank you everyone, I really appreciate the feedback.

• oklouise
    18 days ago

paint the ceiling to brighten the room..the best feature is your fabulous views

• No.5
    Original Author
    18 days ago

Not really able to change kitchen door colour at this stage but wondering would a more beige paint colour help maybe instead of the yellow cream wall paint? And really tired of the red so that has to go🙂 looking to hopefully bring it more up to date with as inexpensive options as possible if that makes sense. Thanks

• oklouise
    18 days ago

cheapest option is to paint the splashback..the paint should last until you want a more permanent solution and paint would allow you to test a variety of colours

• Kim
    17 days ago

If you are looking for a colour to repaint existing walls, have a look at Dulux Quarter Opononi (colors of New Zealand). It's a warm pale sandy colour, very light.

• No.5
    Original Author
    17 days ago

Thanks so much. Appreciate all the ideas so far!

• Kate
    17 days ago

U obviously are a bit over the gold hue. It doesn’t match your modern kitchen so on that basis I would paint it. But it will Make the room a lot lighter, less atmospheric. Is that what your want. It would be more expensive to sand right back and restain

• jeanejoyce
    16 days ago

Personally, I would focus on lightening and cozying the floor through some large area rugs. Some of the online rug companies have a function where you take a photo of your room and then insert your desired rugs into the space. It would give you an idea of what the effect would be without spending any money.

• No.5
    Original Author
    10 days ago

Thanks again for the ideas. I think we will probably end up painting the ceiling, just to help the overall colouring of the room. Also the walls to a lighter beige/off white. Mt

• lulu_q
    9 days ago

I agree with Julie that your ceiling is stunning, but I can see why it’s not working for you with the flooring. However, the ceiling seems to blend well with the fireplace and I would try to work with it and embrace the warm, tactile treehouse vibe which is perfect for the setting. As Kate says, sanding and painting it properly could get expensive. I would replace the flooring.

If that’s beyond your budget, you could add large neutral rugs in the living room, and switch out the light fitting for a simpler one that doesn’t fight with the panelling. Echo the ceiling tone with some textiles, maybe a caramel leather cushion or two so that it looks intentional. The kitchen has a kind of modern feel; you could unify the spaces more by installing a less modern range hood and bringing in some timber touches to reflect the tone of the ceiling, like barstools, bowls, etc. Paint the splashback, or some warm ceramic tile would pick up the earthy feel of the living room while not fighting with the view. Great space and good luck!

• amonymousanne
    8 days ago

Paint the overpowering ceiling as it distracts from the magnificent view and clashes with a beautiful timber floor . Your eyes should be travelling out and not up . Get some sample tiles and bring them home so that you can see what blends into your cabinet colour . Likewise some sample paint pots to try out would help .

• differentways
    8 days ago
    last modified: 8 days ago

SIRIUSKEY

wouldn't paint the ceiling as it frames the view ie: borders it. I would paint the walls white and update the curtains, different heading, longer perhaps simple soft grey sheers, if your climate is cold and insulating is a problem add simple unobtrusive matching blinds. A large sisal or neutral rug under the table would be something else I feel the room needs,

work with the beautiful features that the house has not against them, gorgeous house

like you a dislike that red splash back, red and black too harsh just continue the white walls and splash back and try timber and fabric stools

this rough idea may help

• No.5
    Original Author
    8 days ago

thankyou so much! so much to think about!😁 and so glad to hear what others think...much appreciated.

• wuff
    8 days ago

Floor is beautiful, as ceiling is pine I would paint it, not necessarily white though. Get a colour consultant in .. worth the money

• Ruth BT
    7 days ago

I really like the ceiling, as others said it gives it atmosphere and frames the view. When you say pine, I'm thinking you mean the finest of all the pines - Oregon which is fine grained and a warm honey colour. I have a cathedral ceiling and I would gladly swap my bland white faux Hamptons look with you any day!

I would look at a large rug for the floor - if the budget is small, find a carpet that you like and get it edged as a rug - my favourite hack. I agree to bring in some black in the curtain rods and swap out al that cream/yellow paint for a neutral white.

Your kitchen reminds me of mine circa 1998. Change the splash back to something neutral. Even white painted glass or a white textured or interestingly shaped tile. Swap out your bar stools for timber and introduce some timber elements in the kitchen to match the roof. Think chopping boards,, timber bowl for fruit, utensil holders, pot plants. Paint the walls white as well. All the creams in the world won't help the ceiling look better. you need to work with it not against it.

Good luck and keep us up to date!

• C P
    7 days ago

I would replace chandelier and paint the walls first as the ceiling isn't that overpowering really.

• No.5
    Original Author
    6 days ago

Wow thankyou for the good ideas. What kind of light fitting are you suggesting to replace chandelier, CP? Also any ideas/ examples of rugs anyone? Also, the window frames are all yellow cream btw, so still stuck with that colour a little...and of course kitchen cupboard doors very cream too...would white splashback and paint really be ok in there? Wouldn't fight with the cream? Thx again

• Mon M
    5 days ago

Sometimes it’s just helps to make things visible. Hope this helps with inspiration. I would suggest a cream white for ceiling and a sand colour for walls. (White walls would only make your cupboards look more yellowish). The backsplash a dark greyish colour. Add some new lighting, rug and bar stools and it will look more modern. The brickwork of the fireplace a slightly darker sand colour to make it more of a feature wall. Good luck.

• No.5
    Original Author
    5 days ago

Mon M, thank you SO much...I love what you have done...and your suggestions. Exactly what I was after...thanks for the trouble you have gone to for me to visualize. appreciate it v much