f2468

Guidance on exploring renovation options

F2468
3 years ago

Hello

We are at the very beginning of exploring whether we renovate or sell as our house is becoming too small for our growing family.

1. We need guidance on what is possible with our house - who do we start with? A builder or an architect? At this stage we only want to understand what could be possible.

2. Attached are some plans provided by the previous owners of a second storey addition. Does anyone have any suggestions to the downstairs floor layout? In particular it's missing a bathroom and only has the existing toilet in the laundry, also the two seperate 'living spaces' are right next to each other.

3. Our backyard is primarily pool - a big figure 8 pool. Would you keep this or reduce the size & modernise?

Many thanks

Comments (8)

• PRO
    MB Design & Drafting
    3 years ago

Your budget determines what you can and can't do.

Every project has a budget and the designer should be made aware of this even before engaging their services.

My advice is

1) Set a Budget

2) discuss if project is viable within budget with a designer (architect, building designer or draftsman)

Only then can you make a clear decision to stay or sell.

• dreamer
    3 years ago

What do you require that this home is not giving you?
    The toilet in the laundry is a good place for it. The laundry can be rearranged to become the second bathroom.
    What spaces don't you use in your home? How many people live in this home or will be?

• Kate
    3 years ago

How many beds do you need. I would make bed 2 upstairs a living space.

• Kate
    3 years ago

Your pool it will cost a lot just to modify its size, it will be like a full replacement. If you have kids and it is in good condition I would keep it, but you may decide it’s easier to fill it in and return it to garden. My sister did that to hers.

• dreamer
    3 years ago

And just to note , it's called a kidney shaped pool. Not a figure 8.

• me me
    3 years ago

what are your existing plans?

• F2468
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thanks so much PD this is very helpful