ablizz

Baltic Pine Floorboards Reno Dilema

Andrew Blizzard
3 years ago

I've got a federation home with baltic pine boards that I am renovating. The new extension will have oak timber boards, I want to restore and stain the baltic pine (either light or dark) but my wife is not a fan (knots and yellow). There will be significant cost to put the oak in the front, is there any advice or links to win over my wife?? HELP

Comments (18)

• User
    3 years ago

Each to their own , but I'd put a runner in the hallway , and carpet the other rooms . Some wooden floors are nice , but I'm not a fan of every room having them .

• bigreader
    3 years ago

If you stained it dark the yellow would vanish and the knots be minimised. But if you have the budget Oak in the front of the house would be amazing.

• Andrew Blizzard
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thanks the hall and study will be boards with other 3 carpet. Any links for amazing baltics appreciated.

• Melt In ACT
    3 years ago

If you keep them and get rid of the yellow, do let us see After photos. We have a similar issue (P.S. are you the same AS that I may have worked with in Taipei in the early 90s?)

Andrew Blizzard thanked Melt In ACT
  • Kate W
    3 years ago

We stained our Baltic pine floorboards. Regret not doing them darker.

• Andrew Blizzard
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thanks Kate good insight, do you have a pic?

Melt will do, I have worked in Taiwan but not in the 90's.

• Kate W
    3 years ago

• Kate W
    3 years ago

Before we painted everything white. Sorry I thought i had attached these photos in my original post!

• Andrew Blizzard
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thanks how dark would you go, Japan Black?

• Melt In ACT
    3 years ago

Sorry late 90 / early 2000s. Alzheimer’s must be setting in! Glad to see you are still around! Go for dark boards they look awesome! Melita

• Kate W
    3 years ago

I think Japan black would be too dark. We actually had some boards stained Japan black under our carpet that we had to sand back. From memory there was a chocolate colour that I think would look good (dark brown instead of red)

• bigreader
    3 years ago

You can get brown Japan which is a great dark colour and alternative to the black.

• Andrew Blizzard
    Original Author
    3 years ago

So I've found 3 options for the wife to review, thoughts:

1-2 Espresso

3 Heritage

4 Limewash

• bigreader
    3 years ago

Lime wash looks great.

• Kay Bodman
    3 years ago

Limewaah fantastic

• Anne Monsour
    3 years ago

Limewash

Andrew Blizzard thanked Anne Monsour
  • susiepigott
    2 years ago

Hi, keen to know what you ended up choosing?