webuser_129317789

Floor Plan's only backyard access is in Master Bedroom

Chris Sjafi
3 years ago

Hiya,

So my partner and I are buying our first house (we also have a 4 year old), and have ran into our first layout dilemma. Since our ONLY backyard door is located in the master bedroom, we're debating on whether we would just take a secondary room as our master and make the master a secondary living area.

The main reasons for this are 1) guests will have to go into our bedroom to get to our backyard, 2) living and dining room is one open area and may feel cramped, 3) opens up the possibility of a second living/sleeping area for guests and gatherings, 4) who actually spends a lot of their waking time in their master bedroom anyway?

There are counter points to all of this as well: 1) we probably won't have guests over THAT often, and they can just as easily go out the front door to the back, 2) the space issue may be solved with different furniture, 3) we still have an extra bedroom that can be used for a second office/guest room, 4) maybe our current layout is a reason we aren't in the master bedroom very often, aside from naps, sleeping, and...intimate times. Having our own bathroom and access to the backyard could be a nice intimate addition and open up our use of a master bedroom.

I realize all of this is just personal preference, but I'm interested to hear if anyone else has a floor plan where their ONLY backyard access is in their master, and what they chose to do!

Comments (11)