daniel_monger

Ideas for long skinny ENS

Daniel Monger
3 years ago
last modified: 3 years ago

We have a long skinny ENS that comes off a WIR that opens to the Master bed. I am trying to figure if a wide shower with a double shower on the same wall plus rain showerhead (or opposite wall shower heads) is the better idea rather than a single head shower with a rain head above and figure some other way to configure the room. Don't really need a bath as the main bathroom will have a large one.

I can see many design ideas but not too many with a 1800mm x 3400mm room. The length can be shortened to give more WIR if the ENS is using too much.

Can anyone see something different that might work?

Overall plan including for context (corner block, street front and right) view from the alfresco and master windows is bushland, so needed to keep that view clear.

WC = Guest WC off the main living area. Vanity is 1500mm wide.

Comments (59)

• dreamer
    3 years ago

My shower recess is a walk in, 2000mm with an 100 mm shelf at the shower head end for toiletries. I will find it hard to go back to 900mm if I ever had to. I also have no glass, it is all tile. Which is wonderful for cleaning. But then I do have a window for light and natural ventilation.

• Daniel Monger
    Original Author
    3 years ago

@dreamer Sounds good. How wide is yours? I have some flexibility from 900mm up to 1200mm (just makes the toilet area narrower or wider)

• Related Discussions

Blank wall on front of house

Q

Comments (12)
    As you rethink adding a fixed window, consider either a fixed window that is the long horizontal kind over the shower/tub surround and/or an octagon one with stained glass for the dressing room. https://www.google.com/search?q=images+for++octagon+windows&biw=1366&bih=673&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ved=0CCIQsARqFQoTCOaJ69fb28gCFcYVPgodogsLDw You could add a couple of pairs of shutters to create a pair of faux windows that look as if the shutters are closed. If you don't want a window that opens on that wall, you might consider having a fixed window and shutters that are louvered to let in some light while protecting your privacy. You might also consider a faux gable with a faux window, perhaps functional as part of the venting system for the bath.
    ...See More

Help ideas for this view!

Q

Comments (11)
    How about some stunning black wall sconce lights along the wall? Here's a very contemporary example... The soft grey is an excellent option, and will look stunning with green foliage against it. To give it a real 'look' I'd suggest installing some kind of black feature - whether this be painting the window frame & putting shutters either side, or the sconce lights, or a modern metal artwork. Perhaps even tall black plant pots either side of the window.
    ...See More

House extension help

Q

Comments (13)
    Thanks Susan. I would love to get feedback here from the Houzz community on butterfly roof construction. I know that flashing the valley will be critical to say the least. Whoever does the roof has to have 1. Skill 3. Architectural specs to follow 2. Guaranteed work. How do they hold up in a climate such as yours which is sub-tropical? It's a big project so you will need to be confident in the outcome. [https://www.houzz.com/discussions/can-you-please-tell-me-how-the-water-drains-from-the-valley-of-this-butterfly-roof-dsvw-vd~423763?n=2[(https://www.houzz.com/discussions/can-you-please-tell-me-how-the-water-drains-from-the-valley-of-this-butterfly-roof-dsvw-vd~423763?n=2) And here is a box gutter diagram to check out. I would research the heck out of construction techniques so as to be as informed as possible so that you are able to have a better dialog with the roofer when the time comes http://www.builderbill-diy-help.com/box-gutter.html
    ...See More

Length of kitchen wall

Q

Comments (1)
    Check out some kitchen planning tips here : www.blum.com/nz/en/ideas/overview/ . The dark kitchen which is main image on our ideas page is just over 3800mm.
    ...See More
  • dreamer
    3 years ago

Daniel, our shower recess is 1000mm deep, at the walk in part, then remainder of recess is 900mm because of the width of wall.

• Daniel Monger
    Original Author
    3 years ago

@dreamer Awesome thanks. You have given me another option rather than just a glass panel

• Kay Bodman
    3 years ago

It is a long way to the loo at night and through the wardrobe. I would swap wardrobe and en-suite position and a central doorway.

• C P
    3 years ago

I'd keep the positioning but consider pushing WIR to the end wall and creating an opening closer to the middle. Otherwise it might all feel a bit claustrophobic.

• C P
    3 years ago

I'd also swap the position of your basin and door for your powder room. No one in the kitchen needs to cop an eye of someone on the loo.

• Daniel Monger
    Original Author
    3 years ago

C P good point regarding the toilet door position, I'll swing that to the other side.

Moving the entry to the master we are hesitant on as the doorway then leads out to the end of the dining area, were as now the doorway is tucked into a corner. Probably not a big deal once built but on paper it seems better tucked in the corner. Though, flipping the ENS and WIR will allow for a window to let in natural night.

• Kate
    3 years ago

If you can
    I would swap en-suite and wir so shower can have window. Either way skylights to both area. And good exhausts . I like a rail shower so if you like rain shower go a combination one that you can flick between.
    Powder room I would make a bit wider to get a decent basin in. I hate those puddly narrow things. Steal from master.
    Office is not in great location as no natural light. Could it swap with pantry?

Private yard on street boundary check you are allowed a high fence on both streets.
    Same for other toilet room. Kids may end up using that one more to get ready when shower is in use by another.

• Daniel Monger
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thanks @Kate. Some good points and great idea about the type of shower head.

Concern I have about swapping the Pantry and Office is walking through the kitchen to get to the office, is that just 'weird'. I work from home so tried to get a good spot for the office but other rooms seemed to need the outside walls more or those other rooms made sense to be in those spots. I can try to skylight it.

Fence should be ok as the height is defined by the design guidelines I need to follow for the development I am building in, though I will check if the front can be that height.

Swapping the ENS and WIR then pushing the ENS down to get a window results in the entry walking into the Bed and people could look straight down from the living areas, that is not ideal i guess but would just be something we would have to deal with. Flipping the bed so the head is against the ENS makes it tight to walk around due to the angled wall and the entry hallway would need to go where a bedside table would go. I could grab 200mm from the media room but anymore makes that room very small.. I do like the idea of a window at the shower though.

• differentways
    3 years ago

A glass screen is better in a small bathroom, ie takes up less space than a nib wall and visually lengthens the room. I have tried to show an opening roof window over the shower for light , ventilation and star gazing.

Wall Niches in shower and above vanity

Pocket door not hinged as the toilet is a long way from the bed, but still needs good ventilation, ie opening skylight

• dreamer
    3 years ago

I agree with differentways that a glass shower screen will look better. But maybe a combination of both, a nib wall and glass. Two reasons, one for a bit of privacy, and the other reason, a solid wall next to the toilet just seems better. And it is somewhere to locate your toilet roll holder!
    Also agree with Kate. A combined shower head, with hand held spray would be good.
    The way you have your bedroom designed brings up all kind of lighting and ventilation issues. But I agree that the entry needs to be at the end of dining wall, not in the middle.

• differentways
    3 years ago

A glass shower screen takes up less space, a nib wall being hip or full height takes up extra space and creates a shadow in the shower. The toilet roll would be on the side of the vanity which is also better as you don't see it from the entrance. KISS

• differentways
    3 years ago

Is this a new build and do you have a 2D floorplan of the house with dimensions?

Daniel Monger thanked differentways
  • dreamer
    3 years ago

?? KISS

Daniel Monger thanked dreamer
  • C P
    3 years ago

oh yeah ignore my suggestion as I didn't think about that as room entry and just assumed there was an entry next to the bed (bad eyes viewing plan on phone)

Daniel Monger thanked C P
  • Daniel Monger
    Original Author
    3 years ago

@dreamer and @differentways Thank you for the input again. The half wall looks interesting and will go back to the Architect on that idea. The original plan was to have the toilet roll holder on the side of the vanity.

I did/do have concerns over ventilation so open to suggestions. I am trying to keep as many walls open to the master as possible to fill with glass/windows for the view.

Panoramic from the Alfresco and Master windows;

We will be having an exhaust fan in the ENS (have to for compliance reasons too). I will discuss the costs of a skylight.

I played around with moving the door to the middle and didn't like the feel.

This is a new build so it is a custom design I have pieced together from many other designs.

I just received the latest drawings from the Architect which do not have some of the latest changes I want in there but it is close.

• Daniel Monger
    Original Author
    3 years ago

@C P Nothing is ever easy on the phone. I couldn't even edit the main post after I stuffed up a dimension. Changing the entry to the Powder room was a good idea and is now giving a frame between that door and the media room door for an entry table/mirror.

• differentways
    3 years ago

Just a thought have you considered how dark that middle of the house MFR will be, is it necessary

• Daniel Monger
    Original Author
    3 years ago

@differentways I put a little thought to it but probably not enough. Necessary I would say no but with 4 kids (2 x 5yo and 2 x 7yo) I figured a 'Kids retreat' type area would be nice away from the living and media rooms. Open to suggestions. I can't put skylights everywhere I guess (blow out the budget).

• differentways
    3 years ago

can the driveway be relocated to the Crescent so you can take advantage of the Northerly aspect and the view

• differentways
    3 years ago

KISS..... Keep it simple S

• Daniel Monger
    Original Author
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

@differentways Unfortunately no. There is 2m retaining wall on the Cresent side that is raising the block up to be level. i wish it was. The driveway/garage placement requirement is been a point of frustration that is forcing this to be a custom design. You should be able to see it in the panoramic picture in a previous post.

• Daniel Monger
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Street side

Crescent Side

• differentways
    3 years ago

the block is 440squ M, can you give size of boundaries, thanks (siriuskey)

• differentways
    3 years ago

How clever to have two sets of twins I'am married to an identical twin identical in every way. Considering the aspect and being stuck with the driveway could the bedroom be moved, the view from the bedroom is only available during daylight hours when you most likely won't use it?

• Daniel Monger
    Original Author
    3 years ago

@differentways

Thanks

Have to stick to single level due to budget

• Daniel Monger
    Original Author
    3 years ago

@differentways If i went with twins at the start I wouldn't have gone back for more ha ha. It is a combined family but lucky enough to have them all around the same age.

Good point about not using the view in the bedroom the majority of the time. I guess I just thought about waking up to the view then it would be wasted the rest of the day.

Nothing is really set in stone, the Architect would get annoyed at needing to redo a lot of things but that I what they are paid for. I would have one more go at a major change before I think they would charge me more.

• differentways
    3 years ago

Can understand that can I ask what your budget will be

• Daniel Monger
    Original Author
    3 years ago

I could go up to $300k if need be but aiming for $275k (obviously as low as possible to get as much as possible ha ha)

• dreamer
    3 years ago

Hi Daniel, just a thought, could you swap the entire master suite and kitchen living areas. Rearranging the rooms slightly.
    Then the ensuite will be on the outside wall. And the living area could have the corner panoramic windows, and walk out to alfresco. Keeping the master set up exactly as is but on the outside wall.

• dreamer
    3 years ago

This may also solve the access to ensuite and WIR. With entry changed to the middle.

• Daniel Monger
    Original Author
    3 years ago

@dreamer It is a good idea and I think I tried it at the start but couldn't fit my office in anywhere but I will revisit the idea as I did it very early on with a different frame of mind.

• differentways
    3 years ago

If you don't mind I will spend some time looking at making changes, to start with that roof is complex and costly. Oklouise is most likely already working on something, lucky you. Your family sounds like a whole lot of fun

• Daniel Monger
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Really appreciate the input. The Architect has not mentioned much about the roof complexity and cost of that. I outlined at the start to him that my plan was for his inspiration and where he could see design efficiencies to advise/make them.

My main goal is open plan, enough living spaces to have enough space to separate each other but no lavishly large spaces. I work from home mostly and the media room is for a comfy couch for family movie nights/tv, not a theatre.

Played with the idea of having 2 kids bunk but I never had to so I would like all kids to have their own space, even if it is a little smaller than a "normal" room.

Going for a modern farmhouse inspired theme.

The bush land area is conservation so will not be getting developments and wanted to make the most of the view of nature.

• Daniel Monger
    Original Author
    3 years ago

This link will let you see things in 3D if that helps.

https://home.by.me/en/project/d_monger81/lot-325-final-concept

• Kate
    3 years ago

It is not nice working in an office without a long view to allow your eyes to rest and your mind. If you must then from you pr seat get a sideway view through the panty to the window there and to the front door. You want to make sure you don’t feel too enclosed.

• Daniel Monger
    Original Author
    3 years ago

My partner has the same concerns about feeling enclosed, I gave the office less priority than it should to give way to all the other rooms and whatever was left is my office. Rethinking it now.

• kiwimills
    3 years ago

It's probably been said ( Kate and I feel the same ) no loo on its own should be without a small basin. I see you gave one loo one but the kids loo missed out...poo on the door handle , just saying,
    Mother of 5!

• Daniel Monger
    Original Author
    3 years ago

@kiwimills Good pick up, it should have had one. In my draft is does, the Architect must have missed it.

• kiwimills
    3 years ago

• Kate
    3 years ago

Great work dw.

• Daniel Monger
    Original Author
    3 years ago

@differentways Thank you for the design. I did not consider a laundry style like that which creates some more space. I will take ideas from that plan back to the architect and see what develops. Thank you all for the input.

• PRO
    Kitchen and Home Sketch Designs
    3 years ago

Ok So I may be repeating other here on here! I do not like the internal bathrooms and toilets. I would much rather see the ensuite on the outside wall and robe in center of house. WIR doesn't matter but fresh air and light in ensuite is a must to me. Enter main bedroom between the two. Also the kids bathroom and loo which needs to be a powder room so then you do not need the other one in center of house, find a way of them being on an external wall. maybe up with laundry? I really cannot see the use of such huge pantries....but then we are all different. I love our db shower: 1200 x 900 with two roses: he is 6 ft ++ and I am 5 ft nothing so roses stay where we each need them!! Cheers Margot

• Daniel Monger
    Original Author
    3 years ago

@Kitchen and Home Sketch Designs Thanks for your input. I did actually try to set the layout of the master/WIR/ENS up as you have said but the entry to the master is then in the middle (or close) to the kitchen/living/dining and if the door is left open will allow a direct view into the master (even though it is not much of a view). We were not really comfortable with that and couldn't find a way around it without creating unnecessary corners in a hallway entry to a master. It does give me good food for thought.

Large pantries are in advance of 4 young kids becoming 4 teenagers ha ha.

• kiwimills
    3 years ago

Wip are the bomb.

You can hide your treats AND eat in there.

We had 5 kids, it was a haven for me, lock em out!

• Daniel Monger
    Original Author
    3 years ago

@kiwimills Good point, I need to put a door on there to keep kids out ha ha. I also considered a passage from my office into the pantry via a hidden door :)

• kiwimills
    3 years ago

Owww, do it!

I recon a wir secret door to wip.

Ultimate!!

Everything thinks you are getting dressed...but you aren't even in there .

• kiwimills
    3 years ago

* everyone.