buckleup2000

A hempcrete extension 6 years in the making

Luke Buckle
3 years ago

My young family and I are finally beginning the process of our own home renovation project. I’ve absorbed years of your inspiration thanks to five years working at Houzz, I’ve also had the blessing of Kevin McCloud, and added more photos to ideabooks than anyone I know of… But it still took years for all the pieces to fell into place.

I will try to keep you all updated on major steps and dilemmas - I’ll need your feedback and ideas - though we are about to start building so the plans are well through council. Throw any questions you have at me, anytime!

Points of interest:

• a pitched roof line (butterfly style)
  • hempcrete walls
  • passive solar design
  • a mezzanine level
  • cheeky climb-through windows giving kids access to private decks

Hope you enjoy the journey!!

Comments (34)

• differentways
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

siriuskey

At last so looking forward to it, can you also post a 2d floorplan

Luke Buckle thanked differentways
  • oklouise
    3 years ago

welcome back, we missed you and look forward to all your house news..looks exciting

Luke Buckle thanked oklouise
  • Luke Buckle
    Original Author
    3 years ago

• differentways
    3 years ago

does this mean Kevin will feature your build on Grand design's. Thanks for the extra info

As OKL said we miss you.

• Luke Buckle
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Well, Kevin was thrilled to hear that we were planning to use strawbales so I can only assume he will he just as enthusiastic about our updated plans and will want to include our hempcrete house in his next series.

• differentways
    3 years ago

That's fantastic does that also mean that some money will be coming forthwith to help with the build, could't happen to a better person, what a loss to Houzz

• afjp
    3 years ago

will be very interested to follow your journey. would you mind sharing ballpark figure for this work?

• Luke Buckle
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Ask me closer to the end!

• Luke Buckle
    Original Author
    3 years ago

In the interests of reducing our household's dependence on fossil fuels, and reducing energy bills, I am planning to cut off all use of gas (currently used for instant hot ware and for our oven/stove), and am considering this one which enables solar panels to power it. Anyone had any experience with heat pump hot water systems? https://1stchoicehotwater.com.au/product/stiebel-eltron-wwk302h-heat-pump/?attribute_select-your-delivery-location=Sydney&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIi9zO397O6wIVz34rCh2lswA-EAYYAiABEgLaQvD_BwE

• differentways
    3 years ago

are you planning battery storage for your solar

• Luke Buckle
    Original Author
    3 years ago

I have to’d and fro’d on the battery question. Right now I’m pushing solar until the very end of the project and so the battery is a financial decision. The best advice I have had is that the upfront cost makes it unlikely to ever be repaid in savings. The IKEA deal nearly had me over the line. $5000 for a 5kw battery. Plus 6kw of panels.

• Luke Buckle
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Have been removing pavers by the hundred and had a tree removed last week, followed by a stump grinder. Next step: signing the builder contract, then demolition begins.

• Luke Buckle
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Backyard is now empty and concrete trucks arrives this week.

• Luke Buckle
    Original Author
    3 years ago

The garage-studio will be at the rear left.

• Luke Buckle
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Would you keep this acacia? It has served us well but is now getting in the way in our small front garden that will need a full redesign...

• oklouise
    3 years ago

you're progressing so well, congratulations...the acacia may not survive the move but always sad to lose a plant that you've watched grow...if you can't find a place for it in the new gardens why not offer on Gumtree or similar and hopefully it could have another life in a new home and also glad to see the photo of the small child as it helps age the photos of the reno in future and i have many similar photos of my poor kids watching their homes being demolished and rebuilt

Luke Buckle thanked oklouise
  • differentways
    3 years ago

siriuskey/differentways

What great progress the VP shown in your photos allows to be part of what is happening, I also love having humans in the photos especially kids. It always amazed that when travelling OS people would take shots of historic sites without putting themselves in the shot You might just as well have bought a postcard

• differentways
    3 years ago

The acacia could be sold online or to a nursery, landscaper or for free on your grass verge

Luke Buckle thanked differentways
  • afjp
    3 years ago

what state are you in?

• Luke Buckle
    Original Author
    3 years ago

@afjp I am in NSW

• Luke Buckle
    Original Author
    3 years ago

I have a question - do you know if I need to use the window supplier's own hardware for our stacking doors and windows? Or can I go pick them out from somewhere nice?

• Luke Buckle
    Original Author
    3 years ago

I have answered my own question. Window suppliers can prepare doors for your hardware or some will even install it in the factory.

• Luke Buckle
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Update video - now the rain has pushed the concrete back a whole week.

• Luke Buckle
    Original Author
    3 years ago

• Luke Buckle
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Looking towards the loft which is over the bathroom

• Luke Buckle
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Garage!

• Luke Buckle
    Original Author
    3 years ago

First hempcrete is revealed by Hemp.Lime (based in Sydney)

Roof line and north-facing area ready for solar panels

• Luke Buckle
    Original Author
    3 years ago

IN the hempcrete living room with builder and lighting designer. The highest point is 5 metres off the floor.

• Luke Buckle
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Our bathroom plan is a clay colour Nood.co bathroom basin, paperrock countertop, and Mutina tape tiles

• oklouise
    3 years ago

very exciting progress...love the bathroom scheme

• fianou luca
    3 years ago

wow hempcrete is such an amazing building material I'm so excited to see your project! Thank you for taking the time to share while you have so much going on. It's all so....bespoke! lol
    btw we discovered recently induction heating systems. They work like instantaneous gas hot water, just heating a small amount without a huge storage. But they use electric induction technology, and are only about an A4 sized device that just sits below the sink. You would have separate units for the kitchen and bathrooms depending on location. They would just tap into the solar electricity. It might be an option for you?

• Luke Buckle
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thanks @Fiona I will look that up