webuser_311697664

Kitchen renovation dilemma

HU-311697664
3 years ago

Hi everyone,

I need suggestions on my kitchen renovation. We're on the second floor and have already removed the wall where the old kitchen pantry was backing into, that was just 83mm in front of the stairs. The kitchen had a square shape with plumbing under a big 2100mm window that looks into the verandah. So now we have a big open plan but have been struggling to come up with a smart design because on both sides of this window there are 2 sliding doors of 1800mm. I think the best place for the dining dining table is on the left as there is another big low window on the left wall, so the central and right space of the area are where I think the kitchen should sit. The pictures show a suggested layout, the only think that doesn't convince me is that the fridge is about 1900mm away from the island bench and 3metres from the sink, and has the sliding door in between the two spaces. Is that too far and unpractical?

Other measurements: the right wall is just 3660mm and master bedroom bedhead is right behind it; the island bench is 2900mm long and cook top/sink area is 3300mm. I would have loved to integrate a butlers pantry but that would mean having to sacrifice the view and access to the verandah.

Thanks

Comments (52)

• HU-311697664
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Sorry it's an old house and I don't have architectural plans, I can only take hand measurements. To give an idea of the space this how it was before

• differentways
    3 years ago

can you show the written details larger and clearer pls

• Related Discussions

Help needed for kitchen renovation

Q

Comments (11)
    Janedoe2012, I think you have not noticed the dishwasher is half on tile & half on carpet - plus, the large wall separating the carpeted area with the fridge and pantry? cupboards from the main kitchen. I agree with everyone else - that professional consultation is essential. If you like the cupboards you may be able to use them in a new layout.hard to tell without seeing the whole room.
    ...See More

kitchen splashback dilemma please help

Q

Comments (0)
    I cant decide what kind of splashback should i use for my kitchen. We are currently upgrading our kitchen for the first time. I have been to tiling companies and keen to put a plain coloured tile as there is already lots of colours involved in my kitchen. Please help. Any comments will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
    ...See More

Auckland Kitchen Renovation?

Q

Comments (0)
    Be inspired by Blum at the Auckland Home Show Stand 460 - The Jones Family Business. Click here to find out how you can book a free design consultation with My Designer Time.
    ...See More

Kitchen Renovation

Q

Comments (3)
    With that round corner and the fireplace , is it 1940's ? And what exactly is the 'sitting room' used for at present ? Is it those folding doors on part of 2 sides of that room ? I'm just trying to work out the styles and probable uses . For example , if you move most of the kitchen into the formal dining area , where will you eat ? Is it only 2 people , or a family with 4 children under 8 ? And you also need to have resale in the back of your mind -- if there's 2 of you , and you get rid of a dining area , that cuts down potential buyers at whatever time you sell . And to further complicate things , that formal dining room has 2 windows on the left hand side -- what height off the floor , and height in total , are they ? And then you have the door onto the terrace -- it seem counter-intuitive to close that in , and it will cut down space , but also it makes the terrace less value , less likely to get used . Then things like a walk-in or butlers pantry -- where do you put that ? And without seeing the rest of the house ( theres some strange angles going on there ! ) , I wonder if moving the kitchen over to the 'sitting room' area presently is , might work ? Then you have the formal dining and most of the existing kitchen area , to maybe make into a dining area and conversation area ; or dining and office ; or family room ; or leave the doors you want to close in , and make a larger ' semi open plan' area ? So many variables , not enough info .
    ...See More
  • HU-311697664
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Does this work better?

• Kate
    3 years ago

Ok you have taken out the wall that created the hallmark. And want to use the wall on other side of sliding doors for the kitchen wear that area is a walkway. Constraint is plumbing under window.

• Kate
    3 years ago

Checking constraints - Do you need both sliding doors onto deck. Which do you use the most?

• HU-311697664
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Right now we use both of them just the same, maybe because they're available. Plumbing is not necessarily a constraint. I'd happily move it if there is a layout that can work better, but wouldn't move it against the bedroom wall

• Black Bamboo
    3 years ago

I'm not entirely clear on why you removed the hallway wall as it doesn't appear to give you anything in terms of space and creates the problem you have now. You're probably going to have to lose the sliding door closest to the master bedroom to make sense of the space as working around it is going to put your benches and appliances too far apart. It also makes no sense to have two sliding doors for deck access to what is now, one big room.

• Kate
    3 years ago

You could include a wall opp bedroom to give it some privacy. Still keep view line from living area. Could keep slider or change it to window and extend bench.

HU-311697664 thanked Kate
  • Kate
    3 years ago

Wall could be set into dining a little to create 1.2 m hall.

• HU-311697664
    Original Author
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

@Black Bamboo The old plan picture is not entirely accurate, the hallway was quite narrow(860) so coming up the stairs the wall would sit just 1200mm away from last step. I wanted to see the view from the front window rather the a long wall when walking upstairs

• differentways
    3 years ago

It would have been great to see this before any walls were removed and exposing the bedroom door

You could possibly have changed out the kitchen window for another set of doors thus opening up more to the verandah cheers

• Kate
    3 years ago

And with my plan could add a door on hall to help stop noise travelling to bedrooms

• HU-311697664
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thanks @Kate, that's a valid idea especially if we decide to re-sell one day. Right now that room will be an office so I haven't given it too much thought, but I guess we could put a corner walk-in pantry next to the fridge and another small cabinet along the small wall

• differentways
    3 years ago

differentways/siriuskey

Working with the removed wall you can have a wall of pantries to fit between the siding door and bedroom wall ( fridge will need more depth)

The cooktop placement is too narrow and unsafe, I suggest trying it in the island shown as 900 deep but could be 1000

Fridge on the same wall as sink gives easy access for kitchen and alfresco dining, Kitchen window could be used as a servery to outdoor dining

A casual eating table added to the end of the island

WIP's are a Fad and not always the best choice' Pantries fitted with drawers or done with lower exposed drawers and cabinets/shelves above take up less space. cheers

• Kate
    3 years ago

Ideally like that option dways

• differentways
    3 years ago

No point rebuilding the wall I agree this could work, Pantries can come in all different configurations important not to let the doors get too wide so as not to project too far into the room when open

HU-311697664 thanked differentways
  • HU-311697664
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Wow @differentways that looks really cool! Thank you so much for taking the time to put this together. The only issue is that I'm a messy cook and I fear the cook top in the middle of the island wouldn't work for me..Also the fridge there would be handy but it'll make the kitchen look very long and way too big compared to the rest of the space. I really like the extended bench/table idea tho!

You don't think a corner walk-in pantry with a tall bookcase divider next to it to try and create some sort of privacy for the bedroom could work? Maybe best to leave a pantry and add a room divider rather than a wall?

• differentways
    3 years ago

."Also the fridge there would be handy but it'll make the kitchen look very long and way too big compared to the rest of the space..Also the fridge there would be handy but it'll make the kitchen look very long and way too big compared to the rest of the space"

. Do you mean including the living room, how long is it from the kitchen deck wall to the other end of the living room which wasn't included. It's important to place the cooktop in a safe position. I have my 900 elec cooktop in my 2700 1200 island. I will show you another possibility later

• HU-311697664
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Including the dining room it's 33sqm and living room on the other end is just 18sqm. If the kitchen bench stops under the window, the kitchen area is 22sqm and 13sqm for the dining room, otherwise with the fridge where you positioned it it's 23.8sqm for the kitchen, only 9.2sqm for the dining room and the table would be too close to the fridge. For the cooktop I was willing to compromise for an induction 600 rather than 900 so there would be 200mm bench on the right side, and could have small trolley next to it

• differentways
    3 years ago

sorry need dimensions not squ m thanks

• HU-311697664
    Original Author
    3 years ago

No worries, here's the other side of the area

• differentways
    3 years ago

Plus all other readable dimensions in the other areas including doors and windows

• HU-311697664
    Original Author
    3 years ago

• HU-311697664
    Original Author
    3 years ago

@differentways can I ask you which program did you use to make that design? I think I'm changing my mind about the cook top on the island bench, but I would put it more on the right (looking at the kitchen from the top of the stairs), an move the fridge on the 1045 wall.

• PRO
    Ms & Mr Kitchens
    3 years ago

Here's a new thought. If relocating plumbing isnt too difficult i'd say this plan would look more balanced. The plan you had looks like you are trying too hard to fit everything in. It's nice to have a wall storage but bear in mind that storage can be integrated in many ways. What are you main goals with this reno? Obviously, having a more open planned space. What else? What did you wish you had with your old kitchen? Do you have a lot of things to store? Do you have a big family living in the house? Do you entertain a lot? How many people usually cook in the kitchen? However, don't limit yourself with the old cooking habits either. There's usually a way to satisfy most of your needs while still making it look good. But you need to know what your needs are. We don't want the plan to look unnatural to the space.

• HU-311697664
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thank you @Ms & Mr Kitchens, I thought about this at the beginning then realized that the walls are not very well insulated so abounded the idea of having the kitchen right behind the master and so close to the bedrooms. I love the idea of a big entertaining kitchen and we like to cook a lot. If doing this we would need to built part of the wall again as the third bedroom would open up into the kitchen, but that's not really an issue. I'm more concerned about the noise and probably would feel like the kitchen is too small. Do you see a way a butlers pantry or a study nook could be integrated?

• differentways
    3 years ago

I have a similar plan which I did for you but limitations caused me not to proceed I will get it off my computer and post

• differentways
    3 years ago

And this limited by the depth of the back wall and the sliding door under 600, depth and size of fridge. the island width can be reduced

• PRO
    Ms & Mr Kitchens
    3 years ago

Agree on the noise level. Didn't notice that before. I actually think building an extra wall to divide the bedroom and kitchen would be a good idea. Just so when you open the door you don't immediately walk in the kitchen. Here's another plan. Design can be very personal. This plan brings the fridge closer to the sink. Decent walkway everywhere. Generous bench space. Butler's pantry and study are also incorporated. The study will be in its separate room. You can put bi-fold or bi-fold pocket doors to allow for privacy. Also when not in use it'll just look like panels.

• HU-311697664
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thanks @differentways, a friend suggest something very similar just this afternoon! How funny! Unfortunately the space is not big enough for this layout and the island bench would be too close to the stairs.

@Ms & Mr Kitchens I like this idea, but do you think it would be better to change the sliding door in the pantry to single panel door or maybe a window?Would it look odd left as it is?

• PRO
    Ms & Mr Kitchens
    3 years ago

Changing the door to a window and continuing the bench in to the pantry would be ideal. It works with the door there, but would look better and make more sense to continue the bench. If budget allows, maybe change the window or the sliding door to a servery window (ideally the current window, because it's more of a central location). Ultimate modern entertainers kitchen!

• differentways
    3 years ago

can you confirm a few details, sliding doors 1800, fridge depth and width, cooktop size 600 - 900, the latter is better for everyone including messy cooks, pots, frypans fit better. What are the bedroom/office dimensions

How many bedrooms and family

Are you able to post a floor plan

Kitchens are very personal spaces and we all need what works for us

What I saw was that you had already taken down walls x 2? to open up the space and a view ?,

• differentways
    3 years ago

sorry just saw your post with the floorplan but can't read dimensions does the verandah make the kitchen dark. my last floorplan was incomplete and just shows my playing around with ideas

• HU-311697664
    Original Author
    3 years ago

@differentways the verandah doesn't make the kitchen dark, it get lots of sun in the morning and in the afternoon from the big windows in the dining area and living room. Sliding doors are 1800 and fridge is only a small one 700x700 but would probably changing it the future to a bigger one.

@Ms & Mr Kitchens I like the idea of changing the central window to a gas strut window! As for the pantry would it be better to put a smaller window instead of the sliding door or a 1800 one is fine too? Would it look strange to have a study nook in the butler's pantry and eliminate that internal wall? Just so it's not in a hidden away in a corner and gets some natural light form the window? But still keeping it closed with the bi-fold doors for privacy

• differentways
    3 years ago

siriuskey

This maintaining doors ad widows,

the cooktop would be unsafe next to the sink in any size

large 3M x 1200 or 900 island with cooktop with draws which I have.

Kitchen office in a beautiful position' broom storage

To save my time I don't position cooktops and sinks exactly I usually just use one or two long cabinets of which my CAD program places the appliance in the centre

You will always look into the kitchen from the stairs

I still have a soft spot for my first layout great for entertaining as well

• PRO
    Ms & Mr Kitchens
    3 years ago

You could consider making the sliding door into a splashback window(keeping the same width) so the overhead cabinets can run all the way around to the ranghood cabinet. If you don't need the extra storage i'd leave it to be 1800mm wide and whatever the current door way height is. Still make it into a window though.

As for the study, i think having it in the butler's would be a bit strange. Can be done for sure, but i personally won't have it that way. What if someone whats to use the study while someone's cooking? It'll be more hidden in a corner if it was in a butler's. I think the study should have its separate entrance. The wall in the middle does't have to be a full wall. I'd suggest having small bi-fold doors the same height as the splashback in the pantry so that the study and pantry are separated while still able to borrow light when you want to.

Even when there isn't any natural light, you can always integrate strip lighting under the overhead bookshelves, which i think is quite soft and cozy.

• PRO
    Ms & Mr Kitchens
    3 years ago

Kinda like this.

• differentways
    3 years ago

ms&mr kitchens means something like this and certainly if it's in the budget to change the widow you could do it.

• differentways
    3 years ago

Keeping both sliding doors is a good balance when viewed from both internally and externally. The Kitchen office is perfect when just paying invoices or googling a receipe

• PRO
    Ms & Mr Kitchens
    3 years ago

@differentways That looks good! But i meant changing the sliding door into a splashback window and continue the bench into the pantry. Still change the central window, the 2m one into a gas strut window.

• HU-311697664
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thank you a lot @Ms & Mr Kitchens and @differentways, they're two very valid options and I like them both for different reasons and both come with a "but". I did say this was a dilemma!

I'd rather keep the size of the front window as it is or slightly shorter so that coming upstairs the first thing that catches the eye is the view and the kitchen is a frame, rather than the beautiful kitchen with nice background. So keeping the window means less storage which will have to go on the bedroom wall instead of the study nook. But I like the fridge closer to the island bench

The other plan ticks all the boxes but makes more sense if the sliding door is replaced with a window, at the same time probably looks odd if the sliding door stays. I also agree that changing the door would compromise the balance of the space.

Is it doable in your opinion to have the cook top under the window if we have an induction cook top? My sister keeps pushing this layout with the fridge in the 1mt wall and sink in the island bench, but I was under the impression the cook top under the window is a "no no".

• dreamer
    3 years ago

Google, "kitchen window splashback"
    You will see there are plenty of examples of cooktops at the window.

• HU-311697664
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Yes, I saw many but I haven't come cross one with an opening window. The question should have been if the the cook top can go under a gas strut or a bi-fold window

• PRO
    Ms & Mr Kitchens
    3 years ago

Of course you can, if you don't mind the constant cleaning of all the gaps on the window. Plus the ranghood will be right in the middle of the window. From what i've gathered, most people prefer to keep the island clear unless they dont have anywhere else to put the sink, but again, it comes down to personal preference. If it works for you then go for it.

If you dont need a big study space then here's another option.

• PRO
    Ms & Mr Kitchens
    3 years ago

With this space it's almost a waste not to do a butler's pantry. But again, whatever works the best for you and your family will be the best : )

HU-311697664 thanked Ms & Mr Kitchens
  • HU-311697664
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thanks a lot everyone for your help, I have a lot to think about now! One thing my partner is definately not compromosing on is changing that door to a window so we need to find a sway that integrates the sliding door nicely with everything else. But i do agree, it would be a waste not having a pantry in such a big space.

• differentways
    3 years ago

siriuskey/differentways

One last thought I think it would be wrong to remove the sliding door, it opens up and gives light into the new open plan. Also gives direct access from the Verandah to the bathroom the, wall oven can be swapped to a pantry with the oven under the cooktop

By placing the appliances to the RH side of the space the view from the stairs is clearer cheers

• PRO
    Ms & Mr Kitchens
    3 years ago

I highly recommend you to engage a experienced local cabinet maker or showroom whichever city you’re in. Most of them provide free design service. It’s much easier to come up with a solution when having a direct conversation with you and getting instant feedback from you.
    Wish you the best of luck with the reno!

HU-311697664 thanked Ms & Mr Kitchens
  • differentways
    3 years ago

Houzers always respond when asked for help with the intention that you might take some of our ideas to your choice of local Professional.

And always recommend an on site inspection, to pin point any hidden problems

Having said that you can even go to Bunnings or Ikea etc who will usually do working drawings for free using their products with or without installation

It's a very exciting and expensive process and as always we look forward to seeing the end result