mark_jezek

Single Story Duplex Design Ideas

Mark Jezek
3 years ago
last modified: 3 years ago

Hi all,

I'm intending to build a side by side duplex on a 20m street frontage block. This results in two x 10m homes that are single story. Seeing as the property will have an internal connected wall (sound proofed of course) with no windows, I'm looking for some some ideas or design tips that maximse the use of the external walls and natual light.

I'm intending on building 2 x 4 bedroom, 2 bath, 2 living space, 1 garage and 1 carport.

Any ideas or designs would be extremely appreciated.

Comments (11)

• differentways
    3 years ago

depth of block, aspect, climate etc is needed

Mark Jezek thanked differentways
  • Mark Jezek
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Hi different ways,

Thanks for reaching out.

Block dimensions are in the attached image, north it to top of the page. Located in Canberra, which is very cold, up to -8 in winter and up to 40 degrees in summer.

• Mark Jezek
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Hi different ways,

Here are some initial thoughts I've taken from other designs online.

Love this style of living, kitchen areas at the rear of the house, then with an alfresco. Also, thinking that the wet areas would need to be internal, and then possibily with sky lights. Note this images are not to scale in anyway, but I'm assuming the house dimensions will be 7m wide, allowing a 3m access to easements.

• differentways
    3 years ago

What are the boundary limitations for this type of build in CBR

• Mark Jezek
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Will need to leave 3m easement access on one side of each home. This however could include a carport that could later have roller doors installed to make it 2 "garages". This means that the house width is a max of 7 meters each

• macyjean
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

Can you have a slab floor for an easement carport these days? I know years ago you could not. It just occurred to me, do you mean easement or setback?

Just to confirm, is north to the top of the map? That's very challenging as the northern property has reasonably good orientation, dependent on overshadowing by the neighbours though, but the southern property will be dark and cold, unless you do some fancy architectural solutions with clerestory windows, and I have no idea if you are allowed to have clerestory windows on the inside of a duplex, plus you do not want to create potential roof drainage issues.

Is there any reason for not considering one property behind the other, and two storey?

Another question, how flat is the block? It is surprising how much slope can become apparent on what looks like a reasonably flat block when the levelling is done.

• Mark Jezek
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thanks for the reply macyjean.

1) Yes I can have a slab floor for an easement carport.

2) I do mean easement access, these are the ACT regs.

3) Yes north on the top of the map. Agree re: light and orientation, and agree that will need to consider additional light/windows etc.

4) Reason for not front and back is appeal of rear property, and single storey as I'm targetting the downsizer / retiree / older aged group. Shortage of good quality single storey properties.

5) There is approx 0.5-1m slope running backwards on the block that will need minor excavation and site clearance. Intending to have small retaining wall at rear of property.

Cheers,

Mark

• macyjean
    3 years ago

Unusual block to have easements on both sides.

As your target market, I would not consider the southern property because of the orientation. Good thinking about no stairs, though residential elevators seem to be becoming more commonplace, and depending on the suburb might be worth the investment?

• dreamer
    3 years ago

Ignore my last question. Have now realised it is the 20m end!

• Kate
    3 years ago

What are your setback requirements on each side of lot? An attached dwelling on south side with no northern windows may fail tests for solar access. Go have a look at similar new developments in the area and talk to a planner first.