webuser_4767074

Advice pls on acceptable quality in new kitchen cabinetry - drawers

HU-4767074
3 years ago

about half the drawer-fronts in our new kitchen have bowed outwards creating gaps of up to 2.5mm between the front edge of the base of the drawer and the drawer front. Kitchen company says its because the drawer fronts are painted on one side, so they will bow. Is this true and is this what quality i should expect in a brand new kitchen? It only went in a month ago.

Comments (4)

• macyjean
    3 years ago

Painted? Where are you? What sort of drawer fronts are painted?

Of course it's not acceptable. Who would buy something if it was sold on the basis that 'it will bow and be gappy'.

• HU-4767074
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thanks macyjean, yep, painted is what he said. it sounded weird and it sure doesn’t match with what I saw in the show room - no gaps in drawers there. you’ve reassured me that the kitchen company is definitely trying to take us for a ride. We’re on the sunshine coast, but the stormclouds are certainly building over this kitchen!

• macyjean
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

I just thought, if it's solid timber it would be painted. I didn't think many people have solid timber kitchens any more? When we were shopping for a new front door we were warned about certain circumstances that could encourage warping, but 1) a front door is exposed to greater temperature variations, and 2) the tradesman knew about the potential for that and was able to discuss with us in advance what should be avoided. Being told retrospectively 'oh yeah, your new kitchen looks old and dilapidated because' sounds like an excuse, not expertise.

• Peter Lucic
    3 years ago

Just to put it out there, one of the most popular finishes in kitchens today is 2 pak polyurethane doors which are "Painted" in a similar fashion to the way a car is. Also the kitchen manufacturer can fix the front to the bottom of the drawer essentially sealing that gap.