louisenzinmelb

Advice of Exterior Colours of Brick Californian Bungalow

louisenzinmelb
3 years ago

Hi,

We have recently bought a brick Californian bungalow which we will be renovating. While we wait for the quotes to come back we thought we would start thinking about the exterior paint colours and how to freshen up the front.

The tree to the left beside the driveway will be removed and the plants around the front will be cleaned up.

The photo below shows our house. It is south facing and is always dark, hence the reason for bringing a bit of life and light to it. I have a personal aversion to that colour green in the triangle (it reminds me of school!) and I dislike the yellow.

The roof is relatively new, and while I don't like the red, I don't want to start painting it and keep up the maintenance of that, so will leave it that colour.

There are wooden (decorative) shutters around the windows, which aren't in great condition (second and third photos). I know many people will curse me for this - but - we are happy to paint them.

The other thing that makes it tricky, is that I would like to paint the windows (also currently wood). These are single hung and I will either need to pay someone to do this or find out how to paint that tricky, in the middle part myself!

The doors are behind black screens which will be staying (screens will be repainted black to freshen up).

We will eventually replace the tiles in the entrance with something lighter as well.

Our current idea is: off white windows, light grey shutters and the current horizontal yellow strip under the green, and a dark navy to replace the green.

The ugly fency to the side will either get a paint to match the colour scheme we go for or be rid of as part of the renovations.

Thoughts and ideas??? Open to anything at this stage please! All I can find are wooden Californian bungalows with lovely paint colours, but I love our red brick.

Comments (6)