webuser_157656720

Floorplan reno help please

Sue Davies
3 years ago

Hi all, we’ve gone a bought a rural house for our retirement with an unusual floorplan. Been speaking with builders/designers but need help to consolidate ideas for adding large windows to kitchen and lounge to make most of views to north and west, and to bring much needed light into interior that is all face brick! Thinking of removing large fireplace in centre of kitchen as well, and knocking bed 2 & 3 together to give us a bigger master (we don’t need en-suite) and there are only two of us. Any advice would be most welcome!

Comments (47)

• ddarroch
    3 years ago

Large western windows can make a home very hot on summer afternoons. As the sun is low in the sky in this direction (at the hottest time of the day), making eaves ineffective. The fact you have verandahs to the west will help, but still won't fully shade western sunshine from the windows.

As Dr Retro says, an architect is likely to have considered this. Foregoing maximising the views, in favour of a come that is comfortable, & won't overheat in summer.

I totally agree with Dr Retro. Live in the home for a year. See what works for you.

You may find that the home is quite warm in summer, & don't want to add to the heat load with large western windows. You may find that you prefer the southern master, which is cooler & darker, over an east facing bedroom which gets early morning sun.

• Related Discussions

Floorplan- walk through laundry to get to bathroom

Q

Comments (5)
    Could you put the laundry behind doors so that you won't see it with the walk through...by the way...I am just over the water in OZ, know what you mean by costs... will get some pics....this would be my option...just going on what you are saying.... The good thing about this is that you can shut the laundry away except for when you are washing...... I would have the washer with the dryer next to it if you can and put a bench over the top of the both of them....for this it is worth getting a front loader if you haven't already got one.. this will avoid the bench on the other side...it can all be contained and done on the one side of the laundry. Don't go for sliding doors ...the glass look great but they will need a bottom track and if they don't have one...they will move a lot....not great for this even though they look great. As for having the bench over the top of the washer and dryer, you can then have overhead shelving, does not need to be cupboards as the bifolds will hide what is in there...double cost other wise. hope this helps...Robyn
    ...See More

Building a new house - kitchen help please

Q

Comments (40)
    We got the IKEA shelves that are pictured in the butlers pantry photo I posted when we were on holiday in Melbourne, Australia. We don't have IKEA here in New Zealand! Hubby is going back over in May/June so will get him to get more of that sort of thing when there. We would pay about 4x the price for that sort of thing here in NZ. I need to work out what I will do now where the fridge was and there is the angle change (does that make sense?).
    ...See More

Layout assistance for bathroom & laundry needed please

Q

Comments (1)
    This thread deserved more attention. The layout was pretty good too! dart, pest spraying service
    ...See More

Kitchen Reno for Retirement

Q

Comments (13)
    These houses were designed to look good from the street, regardless of what the orientation was for the Sun. Everything depends on your budget and how far your prepared to go. A friend's house in Queenstown faced the street, the toilet and bathroom had the best view of the lake and the Sun. They got a house removal Coy in, jacked it up put it on the truck drove out and turned it around and reconnected all the services. It then faced the North and West great views and warmth, doubled its value in 3 days!. I replaced my storage water cylinder with a outside gas one, picked up enormous space in our laundry. Another tip is to draw up your "dream" plan, then overlay it over the existing and see what you can really do, your then not influenced by what is already there, and often get a much better insight and removed from the existing. Good luck, its very rewarding and make it fun!
    ...See More
  • Sue Davies
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thanks so much for replying Dr Retro and ddarroch. Yes we are also concerned about heat gain and don’t to rush into any modifications without careful consideration. And yes Dr Retro, the house was architect designed and kitchen fireplace does have large chimney that is load bearing. We love the house and don’t want to lose character, but seems criminal not to take advantage of views of national park. Much to think about.

• differentways
    3 years ago

I live in a similar style of house lots of brick and timber and love how open it is.

Do you have any interior photos to share "you show me yours and I'll show you mine"

• Sue Davies
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Hi differentways, I’ll see if I can upload and show you mine :)

• oklouise
    3 years ago

looks like an idyllic retirement home for two but if you decide to take out the central fireplace in the original kitchen i'd make that space a living area and have cosier kitchen, dining and sitting in the original liv/dining area and increase indoor out connection with bigger windows and doors to the verandah and views but before making any specific suggestions the floorplan needs to be confirmed as there are several discrepancies in the size of rooms but what are all internal and external walls, roof and floors built out of and describe the local climate

• differentways
    3 years ago

Just a couple of ideas that came to mind

• User
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

It certainly is a bit different , but not completely strange -- it looks like it was designed around the family that lived there , and their lifestyle . Some pics , and even knowing your lifestyle , would help to give better answers , but I'd also back up the 'live there for a year' comments .

You have a guest lodge too , so presumably you don't need to worry too much about friends and family staying , although if you have lots of dinner guests , that would need to be taken into account . For example , I suspect the kitchen would be too difficult to relocate , even though for 2 people , to move it to what is currently the office would make sense on some levels .

Just one observation though that I would investigate if this was my place -- could you cut larger holes in the kitchen , the entry foyer and the dining , and do basically an upmarket conservatory , adding 2 to 2.5 metres x the 3.7 metres basically as a 'sympathetic' styled glass walled and roofed internal addition -- that sounds like it would tie the floorplan together better by not making the kitchen feel like its an added stalk , but also importantly really give you a view ?

I didn't explain that all that well , so I'd add that this 'conservatory' would be space that is currently part of the veranda -- currently , part of the exterior ; I envisage it would then be part of the interior

• me me
    3 years ago

It actually reminds me of the traditional farmhouses with detached kitchens, accessed by a covered walkway. I wonder if that's what they were referencing.

• Kate
    3 years ago

I was along different ways and think you could extend wir into office and use a bedroom as study. I don’t see why you need a large master and once you add in a wir to the other 2 bedrooms you are not gaining much by joining them

• Sue Davies
    Original Author
    3 years ago

differentways - some pics for you of kitchen with monolithic fireplace and lounge. Still haven’t unpacked everything as we have a few cracks in archways that need addressing sooner rathe than later!

• Sue Davies
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Pics

• Sue Davies
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thanks oklouise, didn’t realise room sizes weren’t correct- I’ll do some measuring. House is brick with tin roof and cement floors, in Perth hills, so very hot summers. Built in late 1970s to resemble an 1870s farmhouse. I’ll post more info soon.

• Sue Davies
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Differentways and pottsy99 - much appreciate the suggestions and has given quite a bit to think about already. We were wondering at later date if we added a “master suite” as seperate building and connected it through current study - similar to how kitchen is currently like seperate building connected through hall to rest of house. Mmmmm, not sure now.

• Sue Davies
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Yes me me you’re absolutely correct 😀.

• Sue Davies
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thanks Kate, yes we’re not after too large a master just a bit more room than current master offers, and would just add built in wardrobe, not another WIR, as we could still do with bit more storage.

• User
    3 years ago

Just some practical observations -- it doesn't sound like you need more space , so adding a new master somewhere down the track won't achieve much . It may actually make it harder to resell too , as it may seem even more disjointed ? And then there's the problem of trying to match the bricks in particular , but maybe even roofing and window frames and the like .

Likewise , is the wall between Bed 2 and 3 brick too ? It probably won't be impossible to remove , but as Dr Retro said , it may need trusses in the roof or similar , and unless it is simply a standard timber frame and lining , it will be well into 5 figures , just to get an extra metre or so in your master bedroom , and while going down to 2 bedrooms probably won't worry you , I'd suspect it would limit buyers down the track .

What I'm reading into your comments , would be it's not ideal , and I understand that , but conversely if you can work almost within the existing walls , it will suit you better , it won't be a huge amount of $$$ , and it will suit you better , with fewer compromises ? To my thinking , you either need to keep to say $50k and keep most of what is there , or spend $500k and almost hide what is there , but go real upmarket and get a different type of buyer come resale time .

• Sue Davies
    Original Author
    3 years ago

pottsy99, yes you’re right we don’t need much more space. Getting plans done plans for addition of seperate master was one possible solution to losing a bedroom, if circumstances changed down the track and we ever did have to sell. At least we’d have something to show potential buyers what was possible, but agree it would affect resale price. We find current master too narrow with queen bed and two small side tables; bed has to be positioned off centre to be able to close door if need too, making other side of bed quite close to WIR wall. So slightly bigger master, more natural light and opening up to the views are the priorities. Just not sure the best way to go about this and whether to spend more and go upmarket or spend little to meet immediate priorities, is the dilemma. But agree, don’t want to stuff things up for future sale if it ever came to that.

• differentways
    3 years ago

Love your house Sue, I wonder why you would need to extend as you already have wonderful rooms available to work with.I would re do the kitchen taking the cooker out of the fireplace as they never work as well locating within the kitchen cabinets There was a large house recently built near us on the North Coast of NSW it's on ridge looking out over the ocean. They decided to build their kitchen very similar to yours as they love cooking and wanted keep cooking smells out of the rest of the house amazing I have tried to access the photos of our house which I stored on Houzz in my siriuskey ideas books without any luck so this which is a bit over coloured one

• oklouise
    3 years ago

imo spending to enjoy some extra comfort for yourself is a better investment than putting up with something that is unsuitable just in case of resale...if this is to be a retirement home i'd spend 12 months experiencing every season and the location and then renovate to suit your personal lifestyle.. whatever we do a new buyer will always want something different so why plan for some unknown possibility.. did the previous owners sell because the rooms are too small but they kept three bedroom "just in case" the property appears to have a guest house and giant sheds and lots of land so there's plenty of other options for future buyers.. what do you like and don't like about the house.. how easy is it to live in and use the existing facilities and enjoy the outlook, can you sit on the verandahs without being eaten alive by bugs during summer...what do you need to adjust just to suit yourselves??.. i'd like to upgrade the main house for personal use and convert the old kitchen/meals building for bigger groups but always depends on available space, budget and how you like to live

• Sue Davies
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Hi differentways, thanks we love house too and have seen and admired siriuskeys place while loitering on houzz😀

• Sue Davies
    Original Author
    3 years ago

oklouise your opinion’s most valuable. We also think it best to take things slow, and I probably posted on houzz a bit too soon - just got over excited with new house😃. Lots to think about! We very much like your suggestion of possibly swapping current kitchen and lounge areas. Hadn’t thought of that. We don’t need a huge amount of entertaining space (bit reclusive) but like having separate areas to hang out in - a tv/lounge room for night time, and a kitchen/diner with access to verandah and garden for daytime. We’ve remeasured internal wall sizes ourselves (attached) but are yet to get proper plans from council.

• oklouise
    3 years ago

glad to see more accurate dimensions and will try some ideas for you...and ít's never too soon to collect research possibilities and i notice that your ideas book shows we have the same taste in favourite interiors...but the suggested wait is so that you can see how different ideas might work .eg where is the best verandah space for a bug screened porch for mornings, afternoons and night do you prefer morning or evening sun in the bedroom...wouldn't it be great to be able to ...?

• Kate
    3 years ago

How about taking 1 metre off the dining and giving it to the master. By moving door you can then get more space for the bed.
    Gorgeous house, some larger windows would help. You can selectively plaster some walls if the bricks absorb too much light. Think of having one cosy room for winter and then your summer rooms.

• oklouise
    3 years ago

are all of the internal walls brick? if not, which walls are not brick and what are those walls made out of?

• Sue Davies
    Original Author
    3 years ago

oklouise, thanks again for taking time, all of the internal walls are single brick as far as we can tell, except the ones I’ve indicated. And all except bed 2 & 3, which are rough bagged plaster, are face brick. Bathrooms are fully tiled. External walls are all double brick and all face brick. Sorry if dimensions are still off 🙁. And we love being outside as much as possible and love a bedroom with morning sun!

• C P
    3 years ago

wow what a great property but crumbs that fireplace in the kitchen is overwhelming. I'd definitely look at replacing if possible.
    I can understand why you'd want to add more windows. I'd go French doors and paint it all white inside. I like exposed brick but it's overwhelming and with the dark beams makes the space busier rather than restful.
    I think you'll want to open to the West because of pool as well as views. I'd manage the heat with a pergola with deciduous vines and planting trees on that side. assume on a rural property there will be hills so hopefully West may be protected by raised ground (of course it may go the other way).

• Sue Davies
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thanks Kate, like the left of field thinking with extension into dining, though not sure we want to reduce size of dining/living. And yes we too had thought about plastering or dry walling at least some walls to help with light, and maybe a combination of skylights and solar tubes (though mindful of heat gain).

• Kate
    3 years ago

Change bedroom door to a slider or close it off and create entry through wir.

• differentways
    3 years ago

differetways/siriuskey

can you post a google view of the roof.

What would add to the darkness you mentioned are the verandahs so some glass or other translucent panels above doors and windows would contribute a lot of light back into the house without the heat. I would also consider a couple of opening skylights in the very tall ceilings to allow heat to escape and again contribute to internal light. You could also install reverse ceiling fans but from experience with our house opening highlight windows work brilliantly

I'am against painting the brickwork, like you we have other walls that can be painted without touching the bricks, but that's just me. Reaction to our brick and timber 80's house is positive from all age groups so embrace the house and design with sensitive adjustments, you have a unique house and that's part of the property you both fell in love with.

Just one point which is the correct "N" marker out of the first two plans you posted.

• dreamer
    3 years ago

both north markers are correct. The house plan is facing a different direction to the site plan.

• differentways
    3 years ago

What is the depth of the verandahs?

• oklouise
    3 years ago

is the verandah roof and floor part of the main house or at different levels? if you want to enlarge windows it might be an option to remove most of a section of external wall and/or create a wide opening with supporting beam to include verandah space inside the house to enlarge the master bedroom and create a more comfortable ensuite better suited to retirees and the gorgeous outlook with a loo (and shower) with a view and there's space for extra storage in the bedroom...there's a cosy new kitchen location with new plumbing directed though the wiw to connect to ens plumbing and add ventilating roof windows to the new kitchen living area.. walls of the extension could be clad with corrugated steel to match the roof and include insulation and double glazed windows but have the look of a traditional enclosed verandah or sleep out and have direct access to the verandahs and morning sun.. the new kitchen uses an extension table instead of island and there's generous seating round the fireplace, new sliding doors out to the views with shadecloth roller blinds on the outside of verandahs to screen western sun (black shade cloth is best for sunscreening without obscuring views and also breaks cold winds) i've also removed the western wall of the entry to create an alfresco dining area and the old kitchen becomes a lounge (with a bar kitchenette to take advantage of the existing plumbing)... i've also included your original idea for comparison but the old bathroom doesn't feel comfortable without major changes and the small bedrooms and bathroom would be ideal for other activities and short term guests without any major alterations

• differentways
    3 years ago

Sue which has the correct orientation the house or the site plan one is wrong

• differentways
    3 years ago

sorted, the siteplan is correct the cheap plans used by agents are just simple guide lines ie: not meant to be correct

• dreamer
    3 years ago

@differentways, you must be looking at the plans a different way to me. What am I doing wrong. Both have north in the same direction.

• Sue Davies
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Yes CP, kitchen fireplace is enormous. Pity it takes up soooo much space as it appears lovingly built.
    differentways, the pool is on the west side of the house, its just that the house plan and site plan pics are oriented differently.

• Sue Davies
    Original Author
    3 years ago

oklouise I think you’ve nailed it! Fabulous! Your plan provides all we need. The verandah and floor of main house are at pretty much same level, so this could definitely be a go-er. Thank you so much!

• Sue Davies
    Original Author
    3 years ago

differentways, sorry missed your request for overview of roof (attached). Second pic is old one. Don’t have verandah widths to hand, but I think we’re smitten with oklouise’s plan.

• differentways
    3 years ago

Hi Sue, I thought I should toss some other options at you.

Consider the Master in the old kitchen using this plumbing for the ensuite. This room opening up to both North and West views it would be best if the whole fireplace along with chimney is removed which would mean a vertical support beam would be needed to support the ceiling (engineers decision)

The small extension for the shower room to have a glass slopping roof, you would also need to add a pergola on the western side of the Master (Vergola pergola)

The new kitchen moved into the old office and ensuite once again using this plumbing for the kitchen, opening up walls between these rooms should be easier than others in the house.

Large sliders off both the kitchen and "The Great Room" to take advantage of the western views out across the pool

Depending on structural load bearing wall I would like to open up the wall between the kitchen and "The Great Room" for an amazing space with abundant light. I have shown that wall with 2 x 1m openings (there's already one doorway to make use of or open that wall to whatever the engineer approves. The Kitchen is now within easy access to the pool and BBQ, plus bathroom facilities.

The room next to the new kitchen to become Mudroom/office/WIP. I notice that there's a driveway that ends up behind this room, is this where you mostly access the house from?

• Sue Davies
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Oh my differentways! Another terrific plan! The “great room” is very appealing, as is the mud room - that is indeed the “working” side of the house and the other side with bitumen drive is the more formal entry. And we would never have thought of any of this. You and oklouise’s plans have been sooooo much help visualising what’s possible. So many options now and has certainly made us think twice...or thrice. Now just have to see how far budget will stretch. 😃

• PRO
    Wild Terrain Designs
    2 years ago

Happy new year Sue. I read all the comments with much interest and thought I would add some additional options for you. I numbered the changes and explained the rationale.

• PRO
    Kitchen and Home Sketch Designs
    2 years ago

Hi Sue, Interesting plan and beautiful home! Congratulations. The first thing I see, arch designed or not, move the master door off the dining near the robe room and between din and lounge: it is walk space anyway and will give you the full width of the wall opp ensuite and robe for your bed head. The robe looks wide enough for hanging one side and shelving the other: long mirror at the end. Close off M bed door to the hall...Why? the room is impossible with doors on all 4 walls! Also have you got just doors to the verandah in master or windows for a tiny smidgen of safe secure fresh air too? The chimney in kitchen is fabulous: it would be expensive and pointless to remove it IMO. That room would make the best 'snug' for you most of the time when it is just you two. Use the main living area for guests. white paint to door and window frames, ceilings etc will brighten it and invest in good lighting!! Cheers Margot

• dreamer
    2 years ago

This is a sept 2020. Post. Interesting to see if they have already finished renovations.

• Susan Davies
    2 years ago

Sorry all for tardy reply - been offline for a bit and didn’t notice!! Thanks for the ideas Wild Terrain and Kitchen and Home. No we haven’t finished yet. Will post pic of kitchen reno which we ended up doing first, but haven’t even started on bedrooms and bathrooms 😳

• Susan Davies
    last year

Here are some pics of the kitchen which for budget reasons we renovated rather than doing something more exciting like differentways and oklouise suggested. We ended up taking out fireplace as it just took up way, way too much room. Also dry walled the brick, though we haven’t decided how much of the brick to dry wall in other rooms which are extremely dark. We kept original stove and ikea cabinets and added island, pantry, and built in seating. Also double glazed corner window, and skylight in chimney hole. Haven’t got round to getting a bigger dining table yet….Hope to start on master bedroom and bathroom next (whenever we can get trades back again😳) and are planning on going with oklouise’s design, though may also push family bath out under existing verandah, and possibly extend laundry into existing toilet, as could really do with bigger laundry/‘mudroom’.

• bigreader
    last year

The ceiling and beam are amazing. The view is really the star.