catherine_j_calvert

Ceiling fans in an old Sydney Terrace?

Catherine C
3 years ago

Hi there, looking to replace an outdated pendant light in our 1890 Sydney terrace. We are unsure whether to replace with a new pendant, or to replace with a ceiling fan and some additional downlights. I don't want it to look jarring against the period finish in the rest of the home.

Any advice or pictures on how a fan might work in a terrace? The rooms are about 3.5x3.5m square.

Thanks!

Comments (2)

• differentways
    3 years ago

How tall are your ceilings and are they original, if so I wouldn't use downlights.(damage to the ceiling) you can use different track lighting and lamps Houses of this period are sometimes kept in traditional colours and furniture, but they look mazing pared back in one colour white comes to mind then modern minimalist lights work beautifully

• Black Bamboo
    3 years ago

Ceiling fans are practical though and there are many styles these days that can look great in a period home. I live in a 1940's home, it has timber panelled walls and looks more art deco than modern. The ceiling fans are a god send as the windows are small and not well placed for natural cross ventilation.