neverwasbeen

Courtyard to enclosed sunroom/conservatory

neverwasbeen
3 years ago
last modified: 3 years ago

My house is designed so that it has a deck in the middle. It is almost enclosed from 4 sides with brick walls, but with a gap in one of the sides allowing you to enter the deck from the outside (think G-shaped house). It was designed this way so that both living rooms at the front and back gets northern light.

I am thinking of turning the deck into a fully enclosed area by putting a clear roof on it. The reasons are:

- I want to use the area all year round (3 seasons, preferably 4). Enclosing it would allow adding insulation, solid floor, adding an outdoor fireplace, perhaps connecting HVAC

- Having a clear roof maintains light to the living areas

- Passive solar heating via greenhouse effect - the brick walls on all sides would make a good heatsink, and I can further increase that with adding a concrete floor. This could increase the thermal performance of the whole house, so the room would serve a purpose even when it's not used

- Because the walls are already in place, it seems like relatively easy upgrade, and I see more upsides than downsides.

My concern is, though, is the greenhouse effect in summer. I can add passive ventilation in the roof, but I'm concerned it won't be enough. Will I will need to be able to fully open the roof? I don't want to leave it open to the elements, as that would compromise my intent of turning it into indoor space. Perhaps there's something that functions like heavy curtains, like retractable shade? Perhaps I will need an exhaust fan?

I am in Canberra, where the cold season is a lot longer than the warm season.

I will consult an architect if I'm to set the plan in motion, but I'm after some advice and feedback just to gauge the feasibility of it. Are there other issues or drawbacks I have not thought about?

Cheers,

Comments (3)

• macyjean
    3 years ago

I don't quite understand "adding an outdoor fireplace, perhaps connecting HVAC" "Passive solar heating" and "thermal performance" implies an interest in sustainable design, which never sounds compatible with the trend for outdoor fireplaces which by definition allow the heat to escape very easily. Given your extremely sheltered configuration however, extending the usability of the space makes sense. Though if you fully enclose it isn't the fireplace indoors? Which raises the question of adequately venting it.

The problem with Canberra's climate is the extremes, the winters are cold but the summers are hot, so while I like the general gist of what you propose, you absolutely need a plan for the hot weather. Over the years I've seen a few buildings, including commercial buildings, with clear roofs, get an additional roof over the top in the form of some kind of shade sail. Ideally it would be something you can open/close from below, rather than having to climb on the roof twice a year. That might also come in handy for hailstorms. Which reminded me, you also need to think of drainage, with a margin of safety. I've seen rain cascade over the side of our rainwater tank because hail blocked the inlet.

neverwasbeen thanked macyjean
  • neverwasbeen
    Original Author
    3 years ago

The extant house has a closed off chimney. I was thinking of opening it up from the outside, but I don't have to - I didn't think about the sustainability. If I need separate heating I can perhaps install a flued gas heater in the cavity.

I was thinking that some form of retractable shade that goes over the glass would be a relatively cost-effective solution. I just don't know how well it works and I don't want to be in the situation where I have to learn from experience how much cooling I need for the conditions.

As for drainage, while I prefer the roof to be flat I think I can build in a 5 degree angle and utilise one of the gutters

• Kate
    3 years ago

Can’t have an outdoor fireplace under a closed Perspex roof. How will you get on top of roof to keep it clean. Get a local architect to advise who knows the conditions and can do some drawings for you.