jonmeiyer

Help pls: Should I convert my existing patio into an internal space?

J C
3 years ago
last modified: 3 years ago

Hi, I need some advice if I should convert my existing patio into an internal space, which will make my current living and dining area bigger. Being a family of 5, we‘d like to have more internal living area for our kids and for entertaining.

I’ve attached a picture of our current floor plan. Please disregard the decking in the attached picture.

If we were to convert the existing outdoor patio into an internal space, we would have to keep the load bearing column (circled in blue) because it’s costly to remove it.

Quotes to convert the current patio into an internal room will cost averagely $45k if we wanted to remove the load bearing post. If we were to keep the loading bearing post, it will cost us $17k to convert it into an internal space.

We are keen to convert the current patio into an internal room so that our dining and living room will be bigger. How should we disguise the column/post/pillar and how will you set up the living room and dining room? We’ve a gorgeous 5 seater L shaped sofa and an upright piano. Our house is on a long and narrow lot. Thanks!

Comments (17)