harinib

Curved Kitchen reno - before and after

harinib
3 years ago
last modified: 3 years ago

I wanted to share my kitchen renovation experience with Houzz readers. This 25 year old kitchen & laundry has served us well, however needed an update and a better layout. The old kitchen layout was restrictive and did not allow for free foot traffic when there was more than one person working in the area. It was built to accomodate a curved wall, an architectural feature of the house. The kitchen is also not in a typical open plan layout. The kitchen was probably built in the eighties much before we bought the property, it offered plenty of deep storage cupboards but challenging to get to the items in the back. The cutlery drawers were tiny and the countertop had so much overhang that I found it difficult to get to the back of the drawers. Further the cabinets below the curved benchtops had so much wasted space between them. The little eating area could comfortably accomodate only 3 adults and this posed an issue when friends and family wanted to hang out in the kitchen. The laundry had a deep sink that I hardly used.

A lot of kitchen designers who turned up were quite intimidated by the shape of the kitchen and did not even bother to get back to me. So i decided to come up with my own design with a completely new layout & approach. I was inspired by the houzz posts and created ideabooks to organise my thoughts.

After a 3 months of disruption, I am thrilled to say I have a beautiful kitchen that is practical, efficient and a fantastic area to hang out with the family. It makes much better use of the floor space and can accomodate more people without disrupting any food prep or cooking activity. The kitchen island is huge and comfortably seats 6 people. The laundry area is now converted into a slick butlers pantry offers an extra sink, extended bench space and bulk storage for groceries & large appliances. I also put in both induction and a single gas/wok cooktop to have the best of both! The range hood is wide enough for both. Got to say the induction is such a breeze to clean, esp. since I got it flush mounted, it can also act as a bench top when not used.

Before

old kitchen with curved benchtop

old storage along the flat wall

old laundry

After

New layout with galley along the flat wall and island bench in curved area

Gas and induction cooktops

kitchen sink and butlers pantry

BEFORE AND AFTER - SIDE BY SIDE

Shot of the curved benchtop and breakfast bar replaced by the curved stone island with tv and appliance cupboard in the background. This helped to open up the space for foot traffic around the island.

Here the old kitchen with lots of cupboards and no drawers. Replaced by the galley kitchen along the straight wall.

Another view from the entrance to the kitchen through to the laundry beyond the sliding door. New kitchen utilised this space better by a galley style layout. Sink moved to window area with nice outlook.

All cupboards are now floor to ceiling with 2 full height pantries.

Comments (3)