exerri

Render of Artdeco exterior or not!

exerri
3 years ago

5 years ago we renovated an Artdeco house. The only thing we kept was the front exterior and front 3 rooms including the original parquetry floor which we uplifted and moved to what we now refer to the games room.

We converted these rooms and extended the kitchen, living and back yard. There was no existing front fence, garden and no actual front entrance, only a side entrance. We created a garden with a centre walkway to the house. We also added on a second story to include bedrooms etc.

We decided to keep the facade as it was to capture the Artdeco look as we believe that all the original bricks were hand made, so we thought we shouldn’t tamper with the look. However, as time has past, I am no longer in love with the aspect of this look and most of the surrounding houses are mostly renovated and rendered. I think I would prefer a more cleaner look but my other half is hesitant and thinks we should leave it as it is.

Whether its render or something else, I would like to do something. It doesn’t have to be modern, hence why I’m thinking about using a stucco render with maybe leaving some facial bricks as a feature. The existing bricks however, consist of 2 colours which includes a mission brown. The window sills are not pleasant with a mission brown tile. The windows are steel (with putty) and not clean lined. I’m wondering if the steel can be replaced or something else done with the bricks.

The features we do love are the 2 front concaved windows, a seperate portico with terazzo front porch and concave terazzo (Cacao white) steps, which also need a makeover to emphasise its feature. We tried to professionally clean them, but we couldn’t really see a difference.

We have also retained some of the original etched glass doors, but the inside is mostly modern contemporary. Wondering to either do something with the bricks to bring them back to life or give it a facelift and render. Also thinking of adding a carport, however, do not want to obscure the front left concave window .

TO RENDER or NOT ? TO PRESERVE ORIGINALITY of its ERA or not? I do like to preserve originality, however, I feel as the second story is not original, why should we. My other half feels its a pity to render original hand made bricks. I’m not that sentimental, after looking at it every day.

The second story is rendered a light grey (Deluxe Stephney) and so maybe its time to match or compliment the bottom level.

The second story is rendered a light grey (Deluxe Stephney) and so maybe its time to match or compliment the bottom

Would really appreciate advice please?

House before we renovated

Top room was so big, we converted into 2 rooms

After renovation completed

Side view of extension

Left window, terazzo portico and terazzo steps

Right concave window

Left concave window

Unpleasant window sill

Other unpleasant window sill

Thinking of adding a car port as this space is wasted

and a car port would be good to park cars in tandem - as existing garage too small

Front terazzo portico

Second story is not really visible from the front

What to do !! Please advise?

Comments (6)