webuser_299769798

Homebuild under 120k?

HU-299769798
3 years ago

I've got some land in regional Vic, it has water, septic etc all necessary services available at it, it's not difficult to get to, it's a flat piece of land. I'm wondering if it's theoretically possibly to build a house on it for under 120k? I don't know too much about building and I'm not very handy so i would definitely have to use a builder for this. Does anyone know if this is possible for this price?
I'd love a two bedroom place, I'm not fussy about design whatsoever, just the lowest price possible would be ideal. Can anyone put me in the right direction?
Thanks!

Comments (8)

• HU-299769798
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thanks Kate, I was looking at those but they seem quite expensive and I don't think I can get a first home owners type grant using those?

• oklouise
    3 years ago

i would look at the volume builders in your area and check out their duplex or granny flat designs with two and three bedrooms and, depending on the size of your block, it would be good to use a design that can easily be extended for future resale...nothing is impossible but cheapest builders are the volume builders that often have house already built that you can visit and then saving can be made by keeping internal finishes modest but don't skimp on orientation and insulation...there are several great passive solar designs at yourhome.gov that may suit but depends on the builders' costs

• HU-299769798
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thanks Louise! My understanding is I can't put a granny flat on my land as I have no other dwelling on there. Wish I could, some are decently priced.

• oklouise
    3 years ago

i mean look at Granny Flat or duplex designs for small floor plans and allow room on your block for future extensions

• me me
    3 years ago

Check with Council about their definition of granny flat. What is the difference between a granny flat and a small home?

• User
    3 years ago

I'm in NZ , and we have things called Gottages -- basically , a square double garage , but with a large glass door instead of a tilt door -- a cottage that looks like a garage . If you provide the concrete pad with sewerage and power and water , they seem to be around $15-20k erected . You then add insulation and linings , and then internal walls , shower , kitchen , etc . So lets say the pad and prep is $10k , the gottage $20k , the interior $20k , $5k for a basic kitchen -- you'd have your 2 bedroom for say $55,000 .

Likewise , tiny homes on wheels seem to start around that , but $80-100k would be a high standard one with solar panels etc , and the advantage is they can be resold , the disadvantage they are maybe half the size of a gottage .

Both the above are designed to be relatively easy to get council approval , of course you could try to build something yourself using demolition materials and old packing crates and mixing muesli with the dirt and stampoing on it to make the floor , but I suspect the building hitlers would make life not so much fun .

It would be tight , it wouldn't have much flair , but I'd say it could be done for $120k .

• siriuskey
    3 years ago

Check out liveable sheds