susanjaneclark

Planting a mixed screen/hedge - how to do it?

Susan Clark
3 years ago

I'm hoping that Houzzers can provide some advice on how to best plant a 'mixed screen' (relaxed hedge). We have a 70m boundary that faces into a neighbour's garden and that the living areas of our house open on to. We desperately need a good screen, and preferably not one that will take too long to grow... so no Camellias! This is a new, treeless garden for a single storey house on a half acre.

We have settled on a handful of natives that suit the climate and soil conditions (weeping lilly pilly, Callistemon, lemon and/or cinnamon myrtles), and don't want to plant a 70m row of exactly the same thing... mainly for garden health and biodiversity reasons.

My question is.... just how do you mix up these plants? Groups of 3 to 6? Alternating? Sections dedicated to one plant? I'm concerned I might make the whole thing look like a dumping ground for lost plants if I get this wrong.

We will put smaller plants in front with time (see pic of the sort of thing we like below); but right now our concern is with the height of the screen and getting those plants in fairly soon, given the wet forecast for summer.

I would love to hear what others have done... and might do differently in future.

Many thanks... in anticipation.

Comments (4)