swooped_australia

SWOOPED POLL: Big Name Retailers vs Boutique Retailers

What is your preference when it comes to shopping for your renovation supplies and equipment?

Big Name Retailers
Boutique Retailers

Comment (1)

• User
    3 years ago

I don't want to be too negative , but these 'polls' you are doing don't seem all that well thought through , and probably why you aren't getting many replies .

95% of the time , I buy what I'd call 'perceived value' -- the best value for money . That is generally somewhere near the middle of the cost spectrum -- not cheap and nasty , but not handmade out of spun gold by Jesuit monks in the upper reachs of Siberia either .

In most cases , that is the better offerings from larger suppliers , but sometimes it is 'boutique' suppliers .

And occassionally I will pay top dollar for something draw-dropping that adds the Wow . One $2000 item in a $100k reno , where $1000 is your everyday brand name and $600 is your no-name, doubtful warranty product that is unlikely to last 2 years , is often worth it , but a $100k reno that comes in at $200k probably isn't , even in my own place , but conversely to do a $100k reno for 'only' $80k but using items that aren't quite right isn't what I call good value either -- I've even spent a few thousand more on commercial buildings that 'only' lease for $20k a year , because I've wanted a stone or brick front rather than painted plasterboard ; or a larger double-opening door in solid wood rather than aluminium ; etc .

Swooped Australia thanked User