teeg00

Bathroom and Laundry Planning Help

teeg00
3 years ago

I am looking at renovating the bathroom and laundry area of my house this year. I am just starting to look into layout ideas and researching etc. I haven't got a huge budget but will put as much as I can to it, I am hoping for around 10K depending on which route I go down...otherwise a bit more and I'll have to wait till probably the year after.

The house is 3 - 4 bedrooms with only 1 bathroom, 1 laundry and separate toilet all off the hallway at the end of the house near bedrooms. It's okay for us as it is just myself and Son living here. I definitely will keep the seperate toilet.

The bathroom itself is quite small, awkward and dated and needs a

reno.

I have posted a pic of rough layout as it is currently. The dimensions of both rooms are the same. Each room is roughly 1.7 x 2.5 - essentially a 3.5 x 2.5 room with a wall and door opening in the middle. The shower and bath are smaller than appears in the fisheye photo, but had to do that to provide full view.

My main two options so far:

Option 1. Remove the interior wall between the laundry and bathroom (still have to find out if load bearing) and make one open bathroom and laundry space. As it is you cannot access the laundry if someone is in the bathroom, unless you can get in from outside door which leads to the back of a deck near clothesline (that's always locked really). Plenty of space and options if I go this way, but more expensive... the bathroom will then have an exterior door in it which might be weird (but has to stay due to laundry - outside access. Cabinetry could go along a wall of the room to hide all utilities away.

Option 2, leave the wall as is and just reno.. The main issues with Option 2 is there is a rectangular window that goes across the upper far wall over the vanity and bathtub. You can't put a mirror over the vanity there which to me looks odd. The space is cramped. Really limiting the things you could do with it. I would possibly would be blocking up the window to allow for larger vanity and mirror and putting in a new bath and shower where the old ones currently are + Installing a skylight to give light.

Would really appreciate some more guidance and ideas on this one...

Comments (38)