webuser_138306053

Building shed over Sewerage Easement

Haylz
3 years ago
last modified: 3 years ago

We live in North QLD and are due to move into our new house in early February.

There is a sewerage easement along the boundary of our property - buried at 3.3m deep with a 6 meter exclusion zone.

Does anybody have any experience (or is it even possible) to build a shed in this easement area? Hubby wants atleast a 6x3 if not larger. We're also going to be putting in a pool and a deck so are wanting to map things out now. I've highlighted the area we'd like to put the shed.

I've done some reading that we may have to encase the pipe etc, I'm just wondering if anybody actually has gone down this route and whether you would recommend we pursue this or seek another position.

Is it worth the drama?

Comments (2)

• Kate
    3 years ago

I can’t comment on foundation issues, but at minimum have to accept anything over an easement must be pulled out and reinstated at your cost if they need access. You need to enquire with the authority. Now with air surveillance some authorities are more vigilant at looking after their rights than others. Your neighbours may provide some anecdotal experience, but rules change overtime, so may not be relevant.

• oklouise
    3 years ago

check with your local council...we were [permitted by our local council in NSW to build over a sewer line as long as we encased the sewer pipes in concrete and installed a manhole and the floor of the building had to be a raised concrete slab so that council would always have access to crawl under the floor and access the manhole......in the end it was easier and cheaper to build a different shaped building