teeg00

Small seperate toilet - Revamp ideas

teeg00
3 years ago

Hello,

Looking at doing some small improvements to my current seperate toilet. It is a small area that is functioning but it needs some sprucing up.

I am contemplating buying a basin and toilet unit so as you can wash your hands in there.. they would be the only suitable option as I think it's a bit squeezy for a small wall basin.

I would prefer to find an option to tie in the tiles.

Other option is to resurface the tiles to something plain white to allow more options.

I could also just resurface the line of tiles on the wall to something complimentary to the brown floor tiles (currently the wall ones are the ones I really don't like, but they are minimal)

I am thinking of making a frame with a shelf to insert into the window cavity and put plants of something decorative on it. The window is old ugly brown aluminium that has paint all around the edges.

Note, the timber hallway flooring at entrance will be painted white once finished.

Comments (15)

• Kate
    3 years ago

Someone did a positive review of toilet with integrated basin a couple of months ago.
    If you don’t bees drain in floor,nary covering flor with vinyl for a cheap fix.n you will need to make drain a solid surface

• Kate
    3 years ago

Gosh, my typing is worse than ever sorry. Using left hand.

• Melt In ACT
    3 years ago

My office is in a converted house and we have very tiny wall mounted sinks with exposed pipes similar to this https://www.thebluespace.com.au/collections/small-hand-basins/products/turner-hastings-peak-compact-wall-hung-basin. It is precision-fitted so the door swings open with only a few millimetres to spare.

• Melt In ACT
    3 years ago

Just happened to be on that floor of the office today. It’s also a nice rounded shape so doesn’t bruise you when bumped!

• Kayli Wild
    3 years ago

I like the dark wall you’ve started to paint, and I actually quite like your floor tiles. A warm black paint would look best with the tiles, something like Benjamin Moore’s black beauty. And I would match the wall tile colour to be the same as the wall (I.e. black tile paint). I have used one of those cistern sinks and didn’t like it personally (sink too small and water gets everywhere). If there is a sink nearby you could do without one in the room? I love the idea of a shelf with lots of plants, a chunky slab of oiled wood would be lovely against the black. We topped our toilet room with a chunky pendant to draw the eye upward away from the toilet. We don’t have a sink but the bathroom is right next door and it works ok.

• teeg00
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thanks Kayli. great suggestions. I'm not sure I will forgive myself if I go back to black after 3 coast of white to get rid of the purple lol. Cutting in has been a bitch! But maybe just on the far wall I have been thinking about a wallpaper or darker colour...

• teeg00
    Original Author
    3 years ago

btw, love your crisp toilet room! This is more my style... I love the airyness of a light bright room with some cool accents

• Kayli Wild
    3 years ago

Oooh, I thought you had started painting it black (lol)! In that case an all-over crisp white would be great, with matching white tile paint on the wall tiles. I used Lexicon half strength in ours. With those floor tiles I would keep everything else really simple, and all white will make it feel bigger and cleaner. Maybe a bit of wow factor with an oversize pendant, but something with clean lines to counter the old tiles and window. Then a truck load of plants trailing down from that shelf (I love philodendrons and devil's ivy as you can put them in a thin vase with water and forget about them for 6 months).

Here are some pendant ideas (I'm thinking large, maybe width of the toilet, white, with a slight 70s vibe, metal or frosted glass?):

Domo 1 Light Large Pendant In White | Beacon Lighting

Mele 1 Light Squat Pendant in Ash/Frost | Beacon Lighting

Oakton 1 Light Large Pendant in White/Ash | Beacon Lighting

• Jan Dobson
    3 years ago

Sorry, I don’t have photos, but just recently I was in a similar sized toilet where they’d put in an integrated toilet (ie cistern in wall) and created a niche to semi recess a basin similar to the one shown by Melt in ACT. Amazingly unsquishy and I thought at the time it’d be a great solution for a lot of people.

• teeg00
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thanks 👍 I had a look at some large retro pendant lights yesterday, am leaning towards an orange vibe to pull some of the orange from the tile move from brown, I found some that would work well. So will get the final paint and tiles done and update when done. I think I'll hold off on a basin for a while until I've remodeled the bathroom and know what's happening out there...the majority of opinions seems to be unless you can recess the sink into a niche don't bother.

• Kayli Wild
    2 years ago

Looks great! The green and black do wonders in there against the white.

• Kate
    2 years ago

Well done. Simple elegance

• Julie Herbert
    2 years ago

Looks fabulous, if you ever thought of putting in a basin, have a look at this one from Rogerseller, but I think you have done a beautiful job.

• PRO
    Aus Joinery Kitchens Pty Ltd
    2 years ago

Update is very nice, even with those floor tiles. You can get stick on floor tiles if that was something you wanted to do later down the line. Otherwise it is a truly awesome improvement with just paint and a few accessories.