tcmort

1955 little beauty.

tcmort
3 months ago

21years old and very excited to have just purchased first home! Built in 1955 the home has stayed with the original owners family until now. It was re cladd and anodised aluminium windows installed in the mid 80's. All interiors appear to be mostly original...and a great bonus....the furniture is part of the package! Lovely 50's sideboard, bedroom furniture and chrome and Formica dining set.
With a very tight budget of just 20K we would like to update the kitchen and bathrooms respecting the home's mid century farm house charm.
Coming from an extended family in the construction industry we have alot of help at hand but would love some opinions on the challenge ahead!
Bathroom:
While keen to keep the original Primrose yellow basin and bath, would like to re line the walls with vj panelling and tile the floor, also the bath wall if budget allows. Any Ideas?
Kitchen:
This is a design dilemma as we will be entertaining family often so need a fully functional kitchen. If we keep the services in their original positions and maybe add an island?
....flat pack, Ikea , Kaboodle??? I would like to reopen up the fire place and retro fit a wood heater if possible. Would love to incorporate the original Formica dining table and chairs as well. They are in excellent condition. This room faces North so is lovely and sunny. If we could use some of the space for casual living it would be great as the lounge room is quite small. The kitchen now is a big room 3960 x 5200 with alot of wasted space in the centre and around the fire place.
Interior:
Ceiling roses, cornices and fluted glass doors all original.
Paint walls and polish original pine floor boards?
Exterior:
Ideas?....Although the anodised windows are not what I'd choose they are in excellent condition. Paint colours to match? Replace and extend front verandah awning???
This is alot to take in but so excited to make this a lovely first home without over capitalising and keeping its original charm.
Although the budget is small the labour will be largely looked after within my family's building experience.
Appreciate your thoughts!

Comments (39)