catherine_maree

to colourbond or not to colourbond. that is the question...

Katie Stait
3 years ago

I have very exciting confirmation that DA approval is finalised and ready to build our extension.
We need a new roof. Who has had any successes with a colourbond roof without leakage and who prefers a tiled roof?
Cheers

Comments (9)

• dreamer
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

what is your existing roof?

If both tiled or colorbond steel roof are installed correctly, then neither will leak.

• Katie Stait
    Original Author
    3 years ago

We currently have a tiled roof I prefer this but most of my friends and family have high ceiling colourbond roofs and leak. We do love the style and look of colourbond steel.

• Katie Stait
    Original Author
    3 years ago

So it's a dilemma lol

• dreamer
    3 years ago

You should look into why your friends colorbond roof leaks.
    It maybe something to do with blocked gutters or not enough down pipes. Colorbond is water proof if installed correctly.
    Tiles are also waterproof, if there are no cracked tiles and cementing is in good condition.
    If you do not maintain your home, then things happen.
    So it is personal preference, and the style of finish you are after.
    If your existing home is tile, then have tile.

• oklouise
    3 years ago

we have had experience with numerous Colorbond roofs over more than 40 years without any problems although we had constant leaks in a tiled roof with a box gutter that wasn't designed and built properly...Colorbond steel is excellent as long as it's installed correctly with the correct steel profile, overlap and fixings for the angle of the roof and proper insulation etc and the same conditions would apply to a new tile roof

• Kate
    3 years ago

Reasonable pitch on roof and avoid box gutters and deciduous trees or trees that drop bark or pollen overhanging roof, Colour bond should be better
    Cracked tiles or silicon seals in gutter ends are the big issues with leaks plus gutters overflowing

• dreamer
    3 years ago

@Katie Stait. Can't help it, but this just bugs me.
    Its Colorbond, Not colourbond. Sorry, I feel better now.😌

• Kate
    3 years ago

Dreamer Tell that to autocorrect

• Katie Stait
    Original Author
    3 years ago

My bad @dreamer
    Sorry to bug you 🐛
    I have a Sony Android phone, with a shocking autocorrect. It's actually on the way out. 😂 I am so use to Australian English spelling of the word colour as well that I just merely assumed.