lizzy_fitzatkinhardingsone

Inspo for covering unsightly base of window

We have a large window in our stairwell. Previous owners added an extension to the house, the roof of which butts up against the lower 20cms of the window creating the unsightly (and gross close up) black squares at the base. Brainstorming ways to cover it... any fresh ideas would be appreciated. Currently thinking of adding a planter box, other options have been to simply fill each window with a white block to match trim, a wide feature beam across the whole wall base...

Comments (6)

• Kate
    3 years ago

Get a patterned tile and stick it on, or contact with a pattern or just a pretty piece of card.

• oklouise
    3 years ago

try white paint directly on the glass to conceal the roof see how it looks before you attempt something more expensive although one two or three pieces of white painted timber glued into each separate window would echo the line of the horizontal rails around the stairwell

• fianou luca
    3 years ago

yeah gee that's a tough one! I think I'd go for one of those peel and stick kinda solutions...what if you also painted out little black squares up top of the window...for symmetry?

• pottsy99
    3 years ago

Brown paint and green paint . Paint a wavy line 50cm up each pane , 4cm wide tapering as it goes up . Paint several branches off each trunk , also in brown .

When it's dry , paint green leaves on each branch .

The black is the pots that hold the shrubs .

• Kate
    3 years ago

My sister added paint to her windows in her art studio like that to disguise cracks. Buy some relief paint pens. They are great to create thin raised lines. Can get on eBay in diff colours

• siriuskey
    3 years ago

I would use painted white timber the same size as the frames individually set into and across the top of the black squares and then paint that glass white or another colour, a bit like leadlight panels