olivia_ingram

Ideas for teen bedroom/s downstairs.

Olivia Ingram
3 years ago

I’m a single mum who bought the family home from my husband after our separation. I have two growing boys (10 & 13) 50% of the time.

To help with my mortgage I put a kitchen in upstairs and I rent it out on Airbnb as a self contained flat, the boys and I live on the lower level.

I want to continue the Airbnb as it brings in a good return but the boys are sharing a small study/living room as their bedroom. I need to create seperate bedrooms for them and possibly another small living area/study as I work from home and have been working out of my bedroom for a year now.

I’d like to reuse the big sliding stacker doors which currently go from the study to a patio.

My budget is tight at approx 40k.

There’s approx 3 metres of concrete patio to the rear of the house then a retaining wall of approx 1 metre with flat glass on it. I’m worried that excavations will eat up a lot of my budget.

Looking for creative ideas that don’t compromise the privacy/ light of the master suite that give the boys the private spaces they want and also we can access the rear yard without having to go through their bedroom.

Comments (39)