tlse

Farm cottage Reno - advice on internal layout

Tlse
3 years ago

Hi all, still working on this and are pretty happy with layout of bedrooms, bathrooms and laundry.

Would love some help with how to situate living kitchen spaces.

We are joining an old cottage to a newer kit style unattached extension at the rear. To make a bigger family home.
Floor level is the same, ceiling heights will differ with beams/ bulkheads where walls are removed.
Timber home on stumps so kitchen can be relocated.
There is a stove recess on the north side of the home with a low ceiling height - could be used for pantry, storage, fridge space, fireplace or reading nook.
Some ideas and photos - thank you everyone!

Comments (7)

• Kate
    3 years ago

Hi, is the storeroom next to bed 1 going to be a bathroom, as it’s a long way through the living spaces to bathroom between b 2 and 3. This will impact layout recommendations. In one layout you have the kitchen near store. If not bathroom will it be part pantry?
    I see one plan has the missing verandah dimension. Thanks.

• Tlse
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Hi Kate, yes store room will be bathroom for beds 3 and 4. Front verandah is existing and is 4200 x 6800.
    Side verandah is yet to be built and is 3150 x 6500. Additional photos of existing (but party removed kitchen) showing original oven space. Front of original cottage and front verandah.

• Kate
    3 years ago

How about using the stove area as secret hidden storage behind a tv that is on a hinged door. Big long couch.

• Kate
    3 years ago

And I meant a modular couch with ottomans you can reconfigure depending on crowd. Hence keeping kitchen tucked at one end.

• Tlse
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thanks Kate, that’s a fun idea that could work.

• fianou luca
    3 years ago

what about using the back verandah as a galley kitchen? And then stepping down to paving out the back. I didn't draw it on but it should have a door to outside from the kitchen. It's connect but separate to the living. You could tuck a little study nook in where the old kitchen was.

• fianou luca
    3 years ago

what's the original layout?