xenia_charovatova

HELP :) Advice on kitchen plans and how to start our reno??

Hello Houzzers!

I was researching customer experiences with Freedom Kitchens (yikes) and landed on this well informed reno community. We just bought our first apartment and are ready to renovate, starting with knocking out a kitchen wall, which partly separates the living room to create an open plan space, and start installing a new kitchen.

Given that there are heaps of bad reviews on large kitchen suppliers like Freedom and Good Guys, I'm looking for advice on how we can differently approach and project manage our new kitchen install. Ideally we would like to do as much as we can ourselves to save on costs to ensure we can have the best possible kitchen for our budget of approx. $20k.

For some background, our current kitchen and floorplan is here below. The current kitchen will be completely removed and the new one would be roughly modelled on our neighbour's layout, who have removed the wall already. Note: the wall removals plans are submitted to the strata, there will only be about 30cm of the wall remaining on each side.

Here's is a rough plan of how I see our kitchen coming together, including storage and appliances. We will most likely not have any space for overhang cupboards.

Here's the inspiration for the kitchen design, we prefer white handless laminate cabinets with Ceaserstone benchtops and island.

My questions to you lovely folk, any advice is welcome:

1. Any suggestions on the kitchen plan, anything that you think doesn't work or can be placed better?
  2. How feasible is it to achieve this kitchen design with our budget? What should we prioritise?
  3. If we don'/t go with Freedom, who should we be contacting first to start the reno? e.g. can I give this rough plan to a cabinet maker that can work out the design to exact measurements? Do we need to contact a builder at all?
  4. When should we contact the electrician?

Appreciate any help that can get us on our way :) Thank you in advance!

Cheers,

Xenia

Comments (15)