mauricio_rios

choosing a brick for paving - deciding on San Selmo

Mauricio Rios
3 years ago

Is it possible to use Australs San Selmo Reclaimed Original as pavers? (it has a frog on one side (see pic below - taken from Houzz - thankyou) and presumably a smooth on the other side, right?)

Has anyone had it done, or come across a photo of san selmo used as pavers?

thankyou

Comments (9)

• oklouise
    3 years ago

problem with any bricks used as pavers is that they have to be straight edged without any hollows or rough edges and laid very close together to avoid pockets of weeds growing in accumulated dirt

• Mauricio Rios
    Original Author
    3 years ago

we plan on laying the bricks using the wet lay method ... ie. on mortar beds and spaced at 8mm, then mortar used inbetween each brick - this prevents weed growth.

Im concerned about the appearance of the smooth/bed side since I've only seen the brick used in a wall which exposes the header and stretcher sides of the brick. Hopefully the smooth/bed side is just as lovely.

• Mauricio Rios
    Original Author
    3 years ago

That looks absoletely fantastic!!! 45degree Herringbone just makes those bricks sing!! I want the same for my job here. But it recycled reds are not available anywhere at the moment. Unless someone knows of somewhere (delivered to Sydney)??

• siriuskey
    3 years ago

My favourite too Julie for interior and exterior

• julie herbert
    3 years ago

You can also add a larger pavers to add further interest, if you use your first choice of bricks which is beautiful, a sandstone paver would look great

• Mauricio Rios
    Original Author
    3 years ago

the contrast between the red and grey does grab the attention. is that basalt/bluestone?

• julie herbert
    3 years ago

I would say it was bluestone, looks terrific

• Mauricio Rios
    Original Author
    3 years ago

thankyou for sharing and kind comments Julie